Does old volunteer hours still count?

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of setting up my application for CASPA since its opening soon. I have some hospital volunteer hours from high school that is most likely >100 hours. I volunteered at my local hospital from 9th-10th grade. However, that hospital has gone through multiple changes (it's pretty bad) and I don't have the contact information or name of the person that ran that volunteer service (also it's has been like 5+ years). Can I still count these hours in my CASPA application...It just seems like a waste if I don't.

I have never applied before so I'm still a noob at all of this.

Thank you in advance for any inputs that I receive!

It depends on the school you apply to; some want it within a certain time frame (SUNY Downstate in NYC wanted them within the past 5 years). I did a lot of volunteer work as an undergrad (CPR/first aid instructor) and would have over 100 hours logged, but that was so long ago that they're not relevant anymore and I wouldn't know who would even be able to sign off on the hours.

You'll also want to look into the type of volunteer work the schools want, because Downstate wanted something that was non-clinical and "met human needs."

Best of luck! I'm sure you can find something that you're interested in.

On 1/26/2019 at 12:29 PM, TheColorBlue said:

It depends on the school you apply to; some want it within a certain time frame (SUNY Downstate in NYC wanted them within the past 5 years). I did a lot of volunteer work as an undergrad (CPR/first aid instructor) and would have over 100 hours logged, but that was so long ago that they're not relevant anymore and I wouldn't know who would even be able to sign off on the hours.

You'll also want to look into the type of volunteer work the schools want, because Downstate wanted something that was non-clinical and "met human needs."

Best of luck! I'm sure you can find something that you're interested in.

Thank you so much for your input!

Archived