New Grad Vascular Surgery Offer

I am currently a soon to be new grad  interviewing for a vascular surgery position in an academic hospital. Would appreciate any feedback regarding what you believe to be negotiable/if this is a fair deal for a new grad. I currently live in NH with pretty low cost of living. Thanks!

Base salary: 95k exempt with up to 3% annual bonus increase. However due to this being a salaries position, not sure if I have room to negotiate for a higher base. No call required. 

Sign on bonus: 10k

Malpractice: Full with tail

DEA/Licensing reimbursement 

Student Loan Assistance: 2500k per year

CME: 2000 per year

Medical, Dental, Vision

PTO: 3 weeks with unlimited sick days

Have yet to clarify 401k contributions, will definitely bring this up in next upcoming interview. 

Edited by awalsh10
grammar

You can definitely negotiate a salaried position.

Know your worth; be willing to walk way.  Those are the keys to negotiating.

New grad in a specialty, was able to talk my employer up $7k in salary and some extra in sign on.  Talked myself into a better deal than the NP who had 'years of nursing experience'.  It can be done.

• Like 1

Thank you! Will definitely be negotiating. 

Any ideas regarding proper counter offers? This was just a preliminary offer and have been told not  to take the first offer without negotiation. No room to negotiate on benefits, as I was told that is the standard for all employees in this non-profit academic center. 

Did research through AAPA salary report, clinical advisor, health e careers, and pay scale. Having issues with these resources, as vascular is very specialized, and has very little reported as well. Even less information breakdown based off of years of experience. The only resource that I found to be helpful was a portion of the AAPA salary report quoting PA's at 0-1 years experience in vascular at 95k 50th percentile and 120k 75th percentile. 

For some background info, after speaking with the hospital, they said typically I would be working 44-48 hours per week. This came from administration, so will ask the associate providers for clarification regarding what typical hours look like. 

Edited by pas3010

Unfortunately the APACVS salary report does not provide breakdown between vascular vs CT and is lumped together. Thank you anyways though!

Planning to propose base salary to 105k along with 5 CME days . Any thoughts? The initial salary which was briefly spoken about with recruiter is just new grad starting pay without respect to specialty at the academic non-profit hospital. 

Edited by pas3010

• 11 months later...
On 1/23/2019 at 10:55 PM, pas3010 said:

No call required

This is key.  Not too many surgery jobs that don't have call.  Administrators know nothing about how many hours you will be working.  If they say 40-48 then its likely easily over 50.  It also NH.  Not sure how many jobs are available there. St Joseph's?

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you! Will definitely be negotiating. 

For some background info, after speaking with the hospital, they said typically I would be working 44-48 hours per week. This came from administration, so will ask the associate providers for clarification regarding what typical hours look like. 

Don't trust admin on 'typical working hours '... trust peers and past employees