Military compensation vs private sector

I applied to and got into the US Public Health Service’s SRCOSTEP program (essentially an early commissioning for students) however, due to the massive dysfunction in the government over the last year or so I will not see anything result from this while in school. Generally, with the program the PHS pays you (as an O-1E) while in school for a commitment after you graduate. The USPHS essentially uses military pay grades so after graduation I will be commissioned as an O-2. As a PA this pay is godawful (anywhere from half to a third less than what I could make in the private sector even as a new grad) however, I will get full military benefits including dental/health, GI bill, retirement eligibility after 20 years etc. I’ve heard whispers of a healthcare provider pay incentive but have found nothing on the website or from the officers who have hired me. I know there’s more to putting on the uniform than pay but all the pride in the world won’t move this mountain of student loan debt.

Does anyone have any input or experience as a PA in the PHS or military that may help in my decision to move forward with the PHS or to try my hand in the private sector after graduation? I would love to serve in the commissioned corps but that pay!

Pay in the military is as good or better than a new grad PA working in primary care. I don't know about PHS offering BAH, but I assume they do, as well as offer bonuses for clinicians. This brings your pay inline with civilian pay. This plus no need for malpractice insurance, no taxes on BAH, and often extra pay for travel, deployments, loan repayment, free healthcare, ect, you make decent money. I feel I did pretty well with the military, but it may not be the same for PHS. You can't just look at the base salary.

Thank you for the reply. When I go to the uniformed service compensation calculator and plug in O-2, <2 years of service, filing single, with the North Carolina zip code that I’d most likely be working in it calculates (with BAH and after taxes are taken out) only 67K. This does not include the clinician bonus but I can’t find anywhere what that bonus would be. With that being said the fact that you feel you did just fine financially in the military does make me feel better. Thank you.

• 1 year later...

Your time is school counts towards your service so if you do year in school once you commission you will only have a year before you get a raise and including you pick up LT automatically at 24 month ( it may be 18 months in USPHS). I’m not familiar with the program but if they pay you O1E pay, which you stated, that’s different than regular O pay and usually more. I spoke with a few PHS PAs before deciding to stay Navy and I was told the advancement was significantly better and faster than other branches. It all adds up quick, credentials and licensure pay, retention bonuses, time is service, etc. Mind you they pay for moving duty stations, training, extra money for dependents, food allowance, etc. Worse case scenario you hate it, get out at the end of your contract (3ish years) and you will have all the experience you need to get a competitive PA job in the civilian world. 

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I chose to stay with the PHS and don’t regret it. Pay is definitely comparable but with better benefits. Also, I’m up for promotion this year so will be getting a pay increase already. Combine that with the interesting work environments and opportunities and it’s definitely worth it.