Thinking of leaving NYC

Ever since I moved to this country I have lived in NYC. I went to college here, dated here, went to PA school here and now working here. 

I started in Primary Care and did 1 year. then, I switched to Emergency Med. and on Sept 2019 I will make 4 yrs.

I am single, almost done with my loans and now I am looking to move to another part of the country to continue with life, work and to buy a nice place eventually.

I haven't looked deeper, but so far I was thinking: Savannah, GA;  Charlotte, NC and Raleigh, NC 

It seems like the annual salary is a bit low at other places, even though cost of living is cheaper, I still like a big paycheck!

My aim is to find a place where I work 3/days week (12hr shifts), amazing property options (cheaper than NYC),  amazing life/work balance and a good pool of datable women to find the one. 

what's your take?

Been to NYC too many times (but for me >1 time was too many), and I've lived in Savannah (and a bunch of other places).  HUGE cultural difference there.  Absolutely HUGE.  

Anywhere but San Francisco area is cheaper than NYC.  Rural America (also HUGE cultural difference from NYC) has the lowest COL, and often the highest paychecks, especially for EM in critical access hospitals.  

Finding a "good pool of datable women" depends on what you consider datable women which can range from quick hook-ups to biblical marriage quality.  Women anywhere along that range can be found anywhere in America. 

I’ve lived in both Raleigh and Charlotte. Charlotte is more like a city, extremely small, but still has a true skyline and more of that city feel. Raleigh is better categorized as “The Triangle” made up of multiple areas, no true skyline but most of the amenities of a big city. Charlotte is 3.5 hours from the beach but one hour from the moutains. Raleigh is 2 hours from the beach and 3 hours to the moutains. Housing costs are rapidly going up in both, but sure a whole lot less than NYC, but can’t really walk anywhere unless you live in the small downtown areas

8 hours ago, CritCareICU said:

Are you able to easily afford rent and daily expenses? thanks

This comment really struck me as a terrible way to view things.  I'm sure I'm just reading it wrong, but as a professional you should be able to do much more than just "easily afford rent and daily expenses."

As a professional you should be paid well enough to pay off your student loans in 3 years, then put 15-20% of your income into retirement, save up money to purchase a fantastic home, vacation 2 times a year, and put your kids through college.

Just just easily afford rent and daily expenses.

If one is just looking to "easily afford rent and daily expenses" then you are setting the bar wayyyyyy to low.

Sorry if that came off as if I was selling myself short.  I'm talking about a 4500-5000K rent monthly in Manhattan, still able to go out weekly to concerts, games, dinners etc..  I was able to pay off my student debt , travel monthly, and purchase a home all within 2 years of working.  Practicing in Florida we do not have State or City taxes and was wondering the quality of life a PA has within the City. 

According to the salary report NY state claims average salary just above 100K.  I should have asked: are the 150K+ jobs readily available within the city, and if so how brutal are the incurred taxes, and if your take-home-pay affords you the luxury of thoroughly enjoying living within a city such as NY.

This is one of those things where the written word (or at least MY written words) arent enough to express my sentiments. I don't think YOU are "selling yourself short" in any way.  

I don't think a PA salary affords you the luxury of "thoroughly enjoying living within a city such as NY".  It CAN, however, let you live cheaper places (and be paid more there), and visit NY (and other places) often!

You touched on the outrageous housing prices and taxes, but this means that everything else is also ridiculously expensive there.  But, for some reason, people like it there!

$150K income, minus $22,500 for retirement = $127,500.  Minus $31,875 for federal taxes (24% of total) = 95,625.  Minus $6167 in State tax (6.5%) = $89,458.   I don't think you're gonna be able to afford a $54-$60K a year Manhattan apartment bringing home $89.458 a year.

The two + years I've spent in long island and NYC have felt like a constant cash hemorrhage. Boats touched base on a bit. It isn't just the rent, everything is expensive. There are too many people, and the demand is too high for goods/services. The salaries here are honestly pretty average - because once again there is a high demand to live in a 'cool' city. Other professions can do quite well - for instance nurses absolutely kill it here in NY (from my understanding). I don't know what your normal standard of living is, but expect an overpriced tiny apartment, or living with roommates, and never putting away any money. Oh yea, and make sure you get a water filter, because even in Manhattan there are hot zones where there is 3x more lead in the water than Flint, Michigan.

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2019 at 1:57 AM, CritCareICU said:

I understand this is completely off topic; however, I was wondering how you like working as a PA in NYC.  Currently live in Florida and was actually curious about moving there.  Are you able to easily afford rent and daily expenses? thanks

I mean it isn't that bad to afford things. I pay $1995 for my 1br (huge. in astoria), have less than 1K in bills and able to save about 1600 monthly. you'll survive if you have no debts and not the only working person in your family.

7 hours ago, PC2ED said:

I mean it isn't that bad to afford things. I pay $1995 for my 1br (huge. in astoria), have less than 1K in bills and able to save about 1600 monthly. you'll survive if you have no debts and not the only working person in your family.

$2k/month mortgage ($1600 to Principle and interest, and $200 each to tax & insurance) is the payment for a $221k mortgage (assuming 15 year note at 4.5%).  

Many places in the country that is a very, very nice house....not a huge 1 bedroom apartment.

I'm sure there are a lot of people living in Manhattan who would find it equally ridiculous that a person would spend a couple of hundred grand to buy a house out in the country where there's "nothing to do". To each his own.

There are a ton of people moving to both Charlotte and Raleigh. With experience I'm sure you can find a job, but you might also want to look just outside of those cities for the best opportunities. Monroe, Gastonia, Concord, Rock Hill...the list goes on. If you're looking for EM, Apollo and USACS have a huge footprint in the Charlotte market and pretty consistently have jobs posted. 

mine is a rental.

i was not really saying living in the apartment (and paying 1995) is better than a house somewhere else. I know already  that I would get more for my money outside of the city. 

I was just replying to CritCareICU's question. I didn't think he needs to spend 5k in an apartment in the city. that's ridiculous.

Did New York/Long Island/Queens for 4 years. 

Awesome learning experience, great job, pay was average, and lifestyle was so-so (a lot of driving, a lot of working to support average lifestyle). 

Moved in August 2018, to a small/big midwestern city (2mil people). My pay went up, I bought a duplex & rent the top unit so I barely pay anything in "rent." I bike to the hospital/take the bus, end up working less, getting paid more, and enjoy a lot more of everyday life.

There are plenty of new, trendy, hipster bars/restaurants that open around my young professionals neighborhood. The women here shower, have jobs, and do yoga every week... 

What do I miss from NY? 

- Pizza/bagels 

- The beaches (15min form my last place)

- NYC airport with cheap flights overseas

- My job (the people were awesome, PAs were established and could really move up!)

I have no regrets.

P.S.

If you have no family/friends to move with.

Pick an "up and coming city" in the US where you like the weather and enjoy the adventure! The rest of the USA has plenty to offer... Culture will be different, but i's not all bad 😉

Archived