Tell me your “no antibiotic needed “ spiel

Besides the usual warnings I ask "do you imagine I have a cure and I'm just denying it to you? Why would I do that?"

For people that ask how I know it is a virus (usually accompanied by "without doing a test") I say "how do you know I am more than 3 feet tall? You didn't measure me.  Because your eyes, education, and experience tell you that is true."

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 5:29 PM, CAdamsPAC said:

Has anyone else received a telephone call for the Medical Examiners Office asking about medications found with a deceased patient of yours? It can be an eye-opener.

Yes, the Medical Investigator called me from the patient's house across the street from my office when I was in FM...found dead from an MI (as it turned out).

We now have some "Viral Rx pads" in our ED the ministry health provided us in time for flu season.  I too am shaking my head at the lack of basic health education people get in school these days - I remember being taught in Grade 3/4 about viruses, bacteria, some of the diseases they cause, why we got the vaccines we got, etc...now we have people showing up in ED's/UCC's/FM offices with the usual chief complaint of "I can't be sick right now - give me your silver bullet, just don't tell me it's Tincture of Time"  because they think they know better than people that went to school to learn this stuff and that "Patient Centred Medicine" = "Fast Food Drive Thru".

A tactic I have used with patients is to become "hurt and offended" in a sad way so that they actually feel bad for me. I was upfront with one patient who "can't I just get 15 days of anti-biotics" and told them that if their goal was levaquin for every sinus infection, I Would not be able to see them.

I have used the tactic of being hurt and have used the tactic of telling the patient that I would not notice a weird noise coming from my car engine (I know nothing about cars) and then go into my mechanic and tell them what I thought I needed. I would trust their training, expertise and experience. This has been a helpful tactic and I have seen some benefit from it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived