Having a Baby Right Before School Starts

Hello everyone, I have been accepted to a PA school in California and my husband is stationed in Texas. We were just surprised to find out that we are pregnant with our first child and I am due the second week of my didactic year. I have read all over about asking for deferment and people have told me “PA school isn’t going anywhere”. Our families are in California so I will have a ton of support whether I defer or not. But my husband will have to stay in Texas and only be able to visit ever other weekend making our situation a little different than the situations I have read about on the forum. Is this a terrible idea and will our family suffer for this? Or am I just overthinking it? I don’t want to give up on PA school because of this, but I’m heartbroken that our family will be apart. Just wondering if anyone had any insight about this. Thank you in advance!

Don't give up on PA school. Yes, your family will be apart but this is just a sacrifice you will have to make in order to give your new child a great life. I don't have children so my opinion may not be worth listening too, but I come from a military family and our family lived apart for a while but it was just temporary so that my brothers and I can have a bright future. 

• Like 1

There is absolutely no way on Earth I would be passing this first semester of PA school if I had a newborn baby to care for right now. I have two kids ages 11 and 6. I would never trade that time I got to spend with them full-time as babies for anything. You have to do you, but if it were me, and I found out last year I was pregnant again, I would definitely defer a year. 

Best wishes! 

I had a similar situation - unexpected pregnancy shortly after acceptance, etc. I chose to defer a year and 100% believe it was the right decision for us. PA school with a newborn would be hellacious, honestly. It has been hard with an older baby/toddler, but doable. That would be more of a sticking point than the distance from my spouse (though that sucks too, but as a military spouse, I'm sure you've done distance before - we sure have and while it sucks, it can be done). 

Good luck!

On 1/20/2019 at 7:51 PM, DarcyJ said:

There is absolutely no way on Earth I would be passing this first semester of PA school if I had a newborn baby to care for right now. I have two kids ages 11 and 6. I would never trade that time I got to spend with them full-time as babies for anything. You have to do you, but if it were me, and I found out last year I was pregnant again, I would definitely defer a year. 

Best wishes! 

Thank you so much for your advice. I've heard so many people tell me I can do it but with how intense PA school is, I feel like with a newborn my grades would suffer. I'll definitely contact my school about deferring. Thank you again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acceptedtopaschool123 said:

I had a similar situation - unexpected pregnancy shortly after acceptance, etc. I chose to defer a year and 100% believe it was the right decision for us. PA school with a newborn would be hellacious, honestly. It has been hard with an older baby/toddler, but doable. That would be more of a sticking point than the distance from my spouse (though that sucks too, but as a military spouse, I'm sure you've done distance before - we sure have and while it sucks, it can be done). 

Good luck!

It's definitely a relief to hear from someone who went through nearly the same situation and your program allowed you to defer! My only worry is that my program won't let me but I'll definitely reach out and ask them. The distance will be difficult but I would love to spend that first year focusing on my family and then conquer PA school after deferring. Thank you again!

• Like 1

Lots of people will give you opinions about decisions they wont have to live with. Is the first semester of PA school going to be hard no matter where you go? Yes. Is it doable? I think it is if you are willing to sacrifice sleep, social life, or money, etc. You will be busy and not have much time to do anything but study and care for your child, which is perfectly ok. It's your decision and you and your family are the ones that will have to live with it. Take some time to make your decision and be ready to tackle any obstacles you sign up for. You can do it !!

I think your situation is hard due to the distance from your spouse. However having family around helps. I started PA school with a 5mo old and it's been tough but do-able. I think it just comes down to what you're willing to make a priority. You probably won't have time to do much self care for the first semester or two. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's going to be hard whether you defer or not so- from one sleep deprived parent to a "soon to be one" just get it done with. 🙂 

Congratulations on both your acceptance and baby! Only you know what you can handle. For me as a mom of three (8, 10 & 13 ) there is no way I would do a difficult Pa program with a newborn (unless you have a nanny) they don't sleep much and neither will you! (LOL!)None of mine were difficult babies but I still remember the exhaustion! Also Pa school will always be there, but your baby is a baby for a very short time 😞 you can't get that time back. I hope your program will work with you and let you defer for a year or two. Best of luck to you! Don't stress, it will all work out!! 🙂

• 3 years later...