Heritage University 2019-2020

9 hours ago, krytycal said:

I just received the call!!! It’s official I’m going to be a PA

Congratulations!...I'd start thinking about housing and locations and potential roommates. House v apt.

I live on the west side of yakima, along with a good portion of the class. Yakima isn't terribly big, but I wish I was closer to PNWU because it is a lot easier to study there...plus the west side adds time to your drive to Toppenish or PNWU for class/study.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FtrPA2021 said:

Congratulations!...I'd start thinking about housing and locations and potential roommates. House v apt.

I live on the west side of yakima, along with a good portion of the class. Yakima isn't terribly big, but I wish I was closer to PNWU because it is a lot easier to study there...plus the west side adds time to your drive to Toppenish or PNWU for class/study.

Great information, thank you.

7 hours ago, krytycal said:

Does anyone know hot to proceed after the acceptance? I emailed Maria Sanchez, but she has not replied back. 

1) wait 

2) start considering housing options. Location near PNWU is optimal but depends on your study habits and preferred living environment. 

Also, I think our class has a plan in place to help you with housing come March/April   Most of us will be leaving for clinicals and will have open rooms/Apts available. Stay tuned for that once the class is set  

3) others told me NOT to study anything before class starts because we get to do a lot of that now...yes, that is true and I took that advice. 

However, I wish I would have been a tad more up to speed on anatomy and physiology before I got here.  Nothing wild, just be up to speed and comfortable with that basic material. Plus terminology

4) the next version of PANCE Prep Pearls is coming out sometime in December (per the rumor mill). Most of us study out of the current version and it correlates to about 90% of the classroom teaching. 

5) figure out your best study techniques as best you can.  

A lot/most of our classroom “teaching” is off of ppt slides. It’s all relevant info per the subject but not the most creative or ideal teaching technique. A lot of my understanding comes from re-watching lectures, YouTube lectures, answering the objectives they hand out, then reading Pance Pearls for clarity. 

95%+ of the exams are based off lecture slides, so that helps. 

Many of us use OneNote, Google Docs, Notability, and MS word for note taking  in class  

we also utilize Osmosis, Brainscape and some other online tools for accessory learning  and note card sharing  

so investigate those and figure what helps  

PNWU has a lot of space and rooms for studying  and some study at coffee shops, their house, etc...heritage is a solid 20 mins+ south of Yakima, and I don’t know anyone who utilized the campus for studying. One bummer about the location/program. Wish it was all at pnwu w the DO/pharm students there. Ah well  

6) get a set of medical vocabulary note cards! That is the first exam and is just brut memory of prefixes, suffix etc   Get on amazon and start looking at those if you’re bored   It will help  for the first month.  Again, lots of basic stuff which you’ll be familiar with if you work in medicine, but you’ll now be forced to know terms and start to use them.  Don’t stress too hard about it though  

7) Relax until May! 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...