Apply to bare minimum pre-req schools, or wait?

Hi all,

Trying to decide if it’s worth applying to schools that only require up to microbiology (no gre, no genetics, no extra math, behavioral sciences etc) after I finish next semester.  Everything’s on track it’s just my undergrad gpa of 2.88 that makes me nervous and pulls down the cumulative so i’ve been very careful with my grades post bacc. The question really is if it’s worth waiting to be above and beyond the minimum prerequisites. At this point i’m about here:

cGPA: 3.08

Pre-req GPA: 3.8

sGPA: 4.0

PCE: 1,300 EMT

Hospital Volunteer : 100

Research: 1000+

LOR: 1) research mentor/bio prof. 2) NP/head of volunteer program 3) PA

Hate to add to the pile of “what are the chances” posts but hey

Guest HopeToBePAC

I'm a bit confused with your question. By bare minimum if you mean only having taken the required pre-reqs, and not the suggested or recommended pre-reqs, then go ahead and apply! You only need the ones required. Majority of schools don't even require math or Genetics or behavioral classes, and if you don't have them, don't apply to those schools. 

The one thing I would say is still take the GRE. It'll open up so many more schools for you to apply to. I personally don't even know any schools that don't want the GRE but I guess there's some out there. 

Guest HopeToBePAC
1 hour ago, dleesee said:

Thanks, appreciate the feedback! Will definitely be taking the GRE so I have options if nothing comes of applying to the non gre programs. 

Since the cycle doesn't start until mid-April, I would use these few months (or weeks) to study, take it, and then apply to all programs you want to at once/during the same application year.

Archived