prepa1010

Stats for 2019-20 cycle...Need help!

Hello all! I'm going to be applying to PA school for the first time this year. I'm currently a senior finishing up my undergrad in Exercise Science. I'm very nervous about my stats since I know that they are not the best compared to the students that are accepted. If anyone has any recommendations for certain schools that could accept my stats or any tips to improve. I just recently got hired as an ER Tech so my plan is to accumulate more experience and hours during my gap year. 

PCE: ~1500 Medical Assistant at an Allergist Office (Not certified) + ~150 ER Tech (Proficient in EKG + Phlebotomy) 

Shadowing: 75 Hours PA, 100 hours MD

HCE: Internship at OBGYN office where I was a medical scribe, 

Volunteer: 100 Hours

LOR: MD, PA that I shadowed, Physiology professor

GRE: planning to take it in March but I did average on SAT so I'm worried about this

cGPA: 3.6

sGPA: ~3.1-3.2

(I have Cs in Calc, Chem 1, and English and Bs in Bio1,2 and Chem 2, As in Upper level Courses) I spoke with many people about retaking Chem 1 but insisted that I should take upper level bio classes instead. I will be taking genetics this semester

How do you think my stats are for getting into this cycle? Thanks for taking the time to read my post! Have a nice day 🙂

Edited by prepa1010

Your sGPA isn't amazing (as you know), but the program's I interviewed at loved ER tech experience. Taking genetics is smart. It's going to be a question of your school list - look at the admitted student profiles to see if you're a good match for a school. Also make sure your personal statement is strong. Good luck!

• Like 1

You should definitely try to boost up your science GPA. Definitely does not seem competitive enough. I took genetics during my undergrad and it was a tough class for me, you're definitely going to need to study your butt off! You mentioned you had a C in calc, have you taken trig? A lot of programs accept that class as well. I know a lot of people who decide to skip applying for a year to boost their GPA up, you may want to look into that. You'll also have a lot of PCE hours as well too by then. Message me if you have any other questions! I'm a 2 time applicant and just recently got accepted.

• Like 1

The biggest issue I probably see is your C in Chem. Make sure all the schools you're applying to will accept that grade; if they're fine with a C or higher in pre-reqs you'll be okay. Your sGPA is just meeting the minimum, though. 

Otherwise, your app looks solid. Score above average on the GRE, write a very good personal statement, and apply broadly. I think you have a shot for sure! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HopeToBePAC said:

The biggest issue I probably see is your C in Chem. Make sure all the schools you're applying to will accept that grade; if they're fine with a C or higher in pre-reqs you'll be okay. Your sGPA is just meeting the minimum, though. 

Otherwise, your app looks solid. Score above average on the GRE, write a very good personal statement, and apply broadly. I think you have a shot for sure! 

Thanks for your reply! Would you recommend retaking Chemistry this semester? At my school, they combine the grade (ex: C+ and if I got an A this semester, my grade would be a B).

I spoke about this to many people and they have just said that it is not worth my time. I know that PA schools ( most of them) accept the most recent grade in the course. I would still have to take genetics since it is a pre-req for some of the schools that I am thinking about. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prepa1010 said:

Thanks for your reply! Would you recommend retaking Chemistry this semester? At my school, they combine the grade (ex: C+ and if I got an A this semester, my grade would be a B).

I spoke about this to many people and they have just said that it is not worth my time. I know that PA schools ( most of them) accept the most recent grade in the course. I would still have to take genetics since it is a pre-req for some of the schools that I am thinking about. 

If the schools you're applying to will take it, don't re-take! But yeah, taking genetics might be better instead of re-taking chemistry. I heard it's hard but it's super useful. 

3 minutes ago, HopeToBePAC said:

If the schools you're applying to will take it, don't re-take! But yeah, taking genetics might be better instead of re-taking chemistry. I heard it's hard but it's super useful. 

great! thank you for your advice! I'll definitely look into it