Sign in to follow this  
KVB0821

Chances on getting in 2019-2020 CASPA Cycle

Hi guys, I am planning on applying to PA school this upcoming 2019-2020 CASPA cycle and would just like to get an opinion on whether or not I have a chance on getting in. Please let me know your thoughts/any advice! Thanks.

• Currently a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in psychology with a concentration in neuroscience
  • 3.58 cumulative GPA, one more semester pending which will most likely result in a total cGPA of a 3.6
  • 3.44 science GPA
  • 3.62 GPA for pre-reqs for most programs
  • As and Bs in all pre-reqs
  • 500 hours as a patient care associate on a general medical/surgical unit at a hospital (trained in phlebotomy/EKG's)
    • I understand that most schools require a minimum of at least 1000 hours but I have been looking into programs that only require a minimum of 250+
  • 800 hours as a licensed pharmacist technician (I understand most schools do not consider this PCE, but HCE instead)
  • LOR's: nurse manager, pharmacist manager, professor, and a PA I shadowed

I am planning on using this cycle as a practice round given that my patient care hours are not competitive, but I just wanted to see what others had to say! 

Edited by KVB0821

GPA is good, PCE is very low. But, if you're only aiming for the 250 hour schools then you may have a chance. Because even for the 500 hour schools, you'd be right on the minimum. In my opinion, you shouldn't use any cycle as a practice round, do everything you can to be accepted on the first try so you're not wasting time and money. Since CASPA doesn't open until a few months, maybe try to get more PCE before then? You could also seek out schools that accept pharmacy technician as PCE. 

Remember that meeting the minimums just means your app won't get automatically rejected.  It still doesn't guarantee an interview.  Plenty of the applicants applying will have the 1000+ PCE hours because of OTHER school's minimums.

Instead of focusing on minimums, I advise checking program websites to find the average matriculating student stats - that will give you a better idea if you will be competitive for a specific program.

• Like 1