elainabee

Help with program application timeline!

I'm going to be applying this upcoming cycle for programs starting in spring 2020. However, I'm a little concerned about being late in the process and wrote out a timeline of when I'm going to finish all my pre-reqs for CASPA. 

May 2019: plan to have taken the GRE (taking it in March), written/completed my personal statement, and completed remaining shadowing hours. 

Mid-late May 2019: begin applications, send transcripts, etc. 

August 1 2019: have all applications submitted through CASPA (and supplemental apps completed if needed). 

Does this seem like an early enough time to submit applications? Most of the schools I'm applying to have a deadline between Oct. 15 and Dec. 1. 

Is there a reason you're waiting until August to submit your applications? If you have everything completed by May I would send in applications ASAP. You can start filling out your CASPA application now and then 'transfer' that information over to next cycles application once CASPA opens in April. The only thing you can't transfer is grades, transcripts, and references. Submitting in August is considered fairly late. Not impossible obviously, but late, especially if you're applying to rolling admission schools.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, paPassion7 said:

Is there a reason you're waiting until August to submit your applications? If you have everything completed by May I would send in applications ASAP. You can start filling out your CASPA application now and then 'transfer' that information over to next cycles application once CASPA opens in April. The only thing you can't transfer is grades, transcripts, and references. Submitting in August is considered fairly late. Not impossible obviously, but late, especially if you're applying to rolling admission schools.

I wasn’t sure how long the application process actually takes once you begin so I was just overestimating how long it would take to be safe. 

If I begin  filling out CASPA and submitting supplemental forms in May, do you think submitting in June is doable?

My timeline was very similar. I took GRE in early April, and started on personal statement a week before CASPA opened. My LOR writers were notified of my timeline 1 month in advance, and had their letters good to go. I did slack off a little due to work and my nerves of finally submitting, but I had everything wrapped up by the first week of June. 🙂 

• Upvote 1

If you pre-write your personal narrative and experience descriptions, you can complete CASPA (minus any supplementals) in about 4 hours. If you enter the transcript information now and transfer it to the next cycle, it'll go even faster.

The smart thing to do is to submit your application AS SOON as it's ready. Once your application is done and you have two LORs submitted, you can submit to one program that doesn't supplemental essays. That way, your application gets verified early and any future submissions will go directly to the schools instead of waiting in a verification queue. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, hoorayPA said:

My timeline was very similar. I took GRE in early April, and started on personal statement a week before CASPA opened. My LOR writers were notified of my timeline 1 month in advance, and had their letters good to go. I did slack off a little due to work and my nerves of finally submitting, but I had everything wrapped up by the first week of June. 🙂 

This makes me feel a lot better to hear 🙂  thank you!!

14 minutes ago, nichole96 said:

If you pre-write your personal narrative and experience descriptions, you can complete CASPA (minus any supplementals) in about 4 hours. If you enter the transcript information now and transfer it to the next cycle, it'll go even faster.

The smart thing to do is to submit your application AS SOON as it's ready. Once your application is done and you have two LORs submitted, you can submit to one program that doesn't supplemental essays. That way, your application gets verified early and any future submissions will go directly to the schools instead of waiting in a verification queue. 

Sorry, what do you mean by transferring my transcript info to the next cycle? 

If the schools you are applying to are NOT rolling admissions, you will be fine applying in August since their deadlines aren't until October (you'll have over a solid month for CASPA to confirm everything). However, if the schools you are applying to are rolling, they'll obviously start accepting applications as soon as they roll in, so ideally you'd want to get it in by June or earlier. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, HopeToBePAC said:

If the schools you are applying to are NOT rolling admissions, you will be fine applying in August since their deadlines aren't until October (you'll have over a solid month for CASPA to confirm everything). However, if the schools you are applying to are rolling, they'll obviously start accepting applications as soon as they roll in, so ideally you'd want to get it in by June or earlier. 

Even programs that aren't rolling admissions can and do start reviewing applications prior to the deadline.

The program I attended is NOT rolling admissions, has a Sept 1 deadline, and the first interview date is for August every year.  Anyone who waited until the deadline had statistically lower chances of getting an interview because there were fewer interview seats open.

Rolling admissions just means they accept/deny/waitlist as they go through interviews.  Doesn't mean they won't start evaluating applications as they come in.  Waiting until Sept/Oct/Nov 1 to start reviewing thousands of applications is just not efficient. There are some programs that do totally wait for the deadline but definitely not all regular admission programs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HopeToBePAC said:

My submission goal is now June 1 based on what I’m hearing here and on other sites... I’d rather get it in early even if schools I’m applying to aren’t rolling admissions!

Edited by elainabee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MT2PA said:

Even programs that aren't rolling admissions can and do start reviewing applications prior to the deadline.

The program I attended is NOT rolling admissions, has a Sept 1 deadline, and the first interview date is for August every year.  Anyone who waited until the deadline had statistically lower chances of getting an interview because there were fewer interview seats open.

Rolling admissions just means they accept/deny/waitlist as they go through interviews.  Doesn't mean they won't start evaluating applications as they come in.  Waiting until Sept/Oct/Nov 1 to start reviewing thousands of applications is just not efficient. There are some programs that do totally wait for the deadline but definitely not all regular admission programs.

Thanks for this information, I did not know that! 

9 hours ago, elainabee said:

My submission goal is now June 1 based on what I’m hearing here and on other sites... I’d rather get it in early even if schools I’m applying to aren’t rolling admissions!

I would say if you're in by July 1 you'll be fine.  I did mid June (without having a goal, just when I got around to all of it) and it was not a problem.  

Earlier is always better, but don't sacrifice quality for speed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MT2PA said:

I would say if you're in by July 1 you'll be fine.  I did mid June (without having a goal, just when I got around to all of it) and it was not a problem.  

Earlier is always better, but don't sacrifice quality for speed.

That's great, thank you! In your experience, how long did CASPA take from start to finish as far as verification and getting all your transcripts/letters submitted? Obviously I'll have my LOR's and personal statement ready beforehand. 

If your stats are average, then I would suggest applying in May or early June. Above average stats? June/early July should be fine

You have plenty of time from now till then to study for the GRE, take the GRE, write a personal statement, and gather excellent references. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, BrittanyJ95 said:

If your stats are average, then I would suggest applying in May or early June. Above average stats? June/early July should be fine

You have plenty of time from now till then to study for the GRE, take the GRE, write a personal statement, and gather excellent references. 

Thank you!! Do you know if there's a thread on here with people's stats and whether they were accepted, interviewed, etc.? I honestly have no idea how I compare to other applicants