lastone

Cold calls/emails from new grads looking for jobs - annoying or good for employing?

Cold calls/emails from new grads looking for jobs  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Cold calls/emails from new grads looking for jobs - opinions please!

• Annoying invasion of privacy. No thanks.
    • If they went to my alma mater I'm not that bothered, otherwise it's a little weird
    • No problem at all - happy to help and it shows real initiative on their part

I'm about 3.5 months away from graduation. Recently, an advisor from our school came to talk to our class about finding our first jobs. He recommended going on LinkedIn, looking up former grads from our program who are employed where we'd like to work, and calling them or sending them emails asking for advice on getting hired, even if we don't know them from Adam. I feel a little weird about doing this, and I want to know what the general consensus is on this one. 

Edited by lastone
  • Upvote 1

I am happy to help when I can. I know that things are better now, but when I graduated it was a nightmare finding a job. I almost considered once scheduling myself to see a local physician as a patient, and then use the time to beg him for a job. I didn't.

But here is one thing that I can't understand. I work in a hospital where my wife is an administrator, so I know a lot about recruitment here than most. They have had several jobs for PAs or NPs and they almost never get a PA applicant. They have given up on PAs and often only advertise with NP groups. I was frustrated when my own clinic partner said he wanted a PA and I just found out yesterday that he had about 5 NP applicants and no PA applicants, so now he is going to consider one of the NPs.

We live in one of the most beautiful places in the country. It is hard to imagine why no PA wants to work here. I literally put a pin in a globe of the world trying to find the perfect place to live and it was here. Anyway, I'm just venting as I was looking forward to having another PA in the office.

• Upvote 1

I'm about 3.5 months away from graduation. Recently, an advisor from our school came to talk to our class about finding our first jobs. He recommended going on LinkedIn, looking up former grads from our program who are employed where we'd like to work, and calling them or sending them emails asking for advice on getting hired, even if we don't know them from Adam. I feel a little weird about doing this, and I want to know what the general consensus is on this one. 

Many new grads don’t know very many working PAs, other than the ones they shadowed or had as preceptors. And PAs for the most part don’t mind helping out the newbies, After all, someone probably helped them once upon a time.

There is nothing wrong with politely asking for help or advice, especially from former graduates of your program. It may initially feel weird to you, but don’t let that stop you.

The worst thing that can happen is that the stranger won’t help you, which is exactly what happens if you don’t ask.

And, when the time comes when someone asks you for help, remember how you are feeling right now.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

I have often counselled people who complained about difficulty finding a job to network network network. This includes leveraging any and all contacts you have. I think the best thing is to drop in, ask to speak to whomever or the office manager or the hiring authority, and if you can have a few minutes of their time great...if you can't leave a copy of your CV and cover letter. I suspect there are more unadvertised positions than advertised ones.

• Upvote 1

I am happy to help.  I think that is the most disappointing thing about our profession today.  Over the last 25 years I have seen a massive change in how PA's interact with each other.  When I first got out, if you met a PA it was like you were instant life-long friends.  It was great.  Now, I witness PA's F'ing each other over time and time again.  All I can figure out is that the job market has tightened so much that everyone is tense.  Or maybe it's just a millennial thing?  I am still best friends with a lot of my classmates, but the newer PA's will stab your ass right in the back if they think it would further their career.  Something utterly unheard of when I got out.

Point being, I am always ready and willing to help.

Edited by Cideous
  • Like 2

yup, I get cold calls and emails all the tix, and like Rev, I try to convince new grads NOT to come to my area as there are 3, soon to be 4, local programs here churning out lots of folks destined to work at crappy jobs like zoomcare because they can't find anything else.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:17 PM, jmj11 said:

I am happy to help when I can. I know that things are better now, but when I graduated it was a nightmare finding a job. I almost considered once scheduling myself to see a local physician as a patient, and then use the time to beg him for a job. I didn't.

But here is one thing that I can't understand. I work in a hospital where my wife is an administrator, so I know a lot about recruitment here than most. They have had several jobs for PAs or NPs and they almost never get a PA applicant. They have given up on PAs and often only advertise with NP groups. I was frustrated when my own clinic partner said he wanted a PA and I just found out yesterday that he had about 5 NP applicants and no PA applicants, so now he is going to consider one of the NPs.

We live in one of the most beautiful places in the country. It is hard to imagine why no PA wants to work here. I literally put a pin in a globe of the world trying to find the perfect place to live and it was here. Anyway, I'm just venting as I was looking forward to having another PA in the office.

New grad (December) here who has been aggressively applying for the last six months with no luck. I’d love to move to a beautiful part of the country to work for a hospital. If you guys are seriously looking for a PA please do message me. I have letters of reference from preceptors and am very eager to move somewhere new. 

I, unfortunately, have become acutely and seriously ill (typing from a ICU step down unit) so I will give you this lead while I can. I could try and answer personal questions once you have looked at the official site. Go here.  Best of luck, Mike

PS: I just saw that they are calling this a part-time position. That is negotiable and that is probably why they haven't had any responses from PAs.

Edited by jmj11

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By FoodAsMedicine
      I am starting to put together my resume so I can be prepared to start the job search well before graduation day. However, if I start applying to jobs prior to graduation, what do I list as my 'title' after my name? Do I list 'physician assistant' or 'physician assistant student'? The first seems disingenuous (given that I haven't yet graduated), but then listing my title as 'student' in big bold letters seems like a recipe for getting ignored...  given that I am not listing PA-C (certified) is it appropriate to use the title 'PA' without the 'certified' qualifier?
      Thanks for the insight. 
    • By futurePA4312
      I just received my first offer at an Orthopedic practice just 30 minutes south of Boston, MA as an Orthopedic Spine PA
      2 days in OR/3 days in clinic. 40 hours.

Salary: 80k
      "On call potential": "10-20k+" ($350/night on weekdays and $750/night on weekends)
      3 weeks vacation
      40 hours sicktime; 1 personal day
      Full benefits
      Practice pays for disability, malpractice, and licensing fees
      5 days CME + $1500
      401k +  3% match

Is this even worth considering? 
    • By zgotham1
      Hello All, 
      This is my first post in this forum and im really pumped! I'm currently a junior right now and will hopefully be applying to PA schools here in the coming future. 
      I was wondering if I could get some insights from the people who are ahead of me in the process with how applying goes, and if i have a shot at some higher tier schools. 

So far my cumulative GPA is a 3.77, with a science GPA of about 3.65ish. 
      Courses I've taken (Sport and Exercise Science Major/Pre-PA track) are as follows: 
      Molecular and Cellular Bio: B+  Gen Chem I and II w/ Labs: B, B+, A-, A-  Bio II: A+, A Animal Physiology w/lab : A-, A- Trigonometry: A Psych Stats: A  **Currently in ** Human Gross Anatomy w/ Cadaver Based lab (Hardest course at my university taught by two former MDs, one being from Yale): B+ (Hopefully) and A  Organic Chemistry I and II (w/ Ochem 1 Lab): A+, A+, B+ (Do not plan on taking Ochem II lab) Nutrition: A+  Research Methods: A-  Intro Psych, Psych of Human Development and Abnormal Psych: all A+'s  Currently I still plan to take Biochem, Genetics and Microbiology  along with some other sport and exercise science fluff courses. (Biomechanics, Clinical ex. physio, exercise physio, motor learning and development etc.)

I will be planning to do research this coming spring semester with my advisor will hopefully be presenting it at the ACSM National Conference in Harrisburg, PA.  Im apart of my schools Honor's Program as well as the national honors society Phi Eta Sigma. I will also planing to be joining the National Honors Society of Biology: Beta Beta Beta. Also, outside of honors programs im apart of the Delta Kappa Epslion Fraternity. (So if any brothers are reading this hello!) 

However, i believe my biggest flaw in my application will be my HCE. So far i really dont have any HCE hours besides a couple hours of shadowing and what not. Will this hinder me greatly in applying to PA schools? I plan on taking a CNA course in the summer and hopefully will get a job as a PT tech at a local Sport PT place here in town. 
      I have a list of schools that i would like to apply to and then i have some of the other schools i consider top tier (Pitt, Penn State, Yale, PCOMM, Cornell etc.) 
      Also, do you have any tips on how to study for GRE's? Or did you just go in there and wing it? 
      How do my chances look? 

- Thank you, Z. 

• By CLB2018
      Hello all, 
      I’m a new grad as of August. I turned down a fellowship due to a last minute contract change of an added time comittment in an area I did not want to stay in. With that, I started looking in the area I want to live, but now I feel behind in the job search and beginning to feel very pressured. I’m in an area with high COL and low job availability for new grads.
      I was recently offered a full-time ER position as a 1099. Malpractice with tail coverage only. There is also a productivity incentive (current PA said they average an extra $1500-2k per month). I have been offered $65/hour. Average 2 patients/hour, 12 hour shifts (no overnights). 
      I have read so many negative things about ICs especially as a new grad, but the other 3PAs have been there for >5years and began as new grads too. I know this will be good ER experience, but I’m concerned about the lack of benefits. 
      Please, any advice is welcomed! Counter suggestions?? Run for the hills??
      thank you!
    • By heisman1979
      I am currently still in my clinical year--I have 2 rotations still left to complete. This is the second job offer I've received. My first offer was from a local ED, which I declined because 1. It was my first offer, and from this forum I've learned that you probably shouldn't just jump on the first offer that you see 2. Before PA school, I worked as an ED tech working the 1400-0230 shift--and back then it was just my wife and I, and since then we've added 2 little girls to our family--and I just don't think I want to take on the ED hours, stress, etc 3. I ran my offer by a few different PAs that I know (PA school faculty and practicing PAs), and they were less than impressed with the offer ($115k starting, but didn't increase yearly as much as it probably should have; PTO was minimal; etc.) 4. In hindsight, I think I made the right decision.
      12 hour shifts, 14 total shifts per month.
      This position is an urgent care where I'll be "training" with an MD or experienced APP for 60 days at a monthly pay of $6834 (would be salary of $82k--$40.67/hr). After this time, I'll move to my regular pay of $59.52/hr, $119,992/year.
      3 tier PA job ladder--starting at PA1 (years 0-3), then move to PA2 (years 4-7), then senior PA (years 8+). They haven't said what the pay scales will be yet for PA2, senior PA. I told them I will not be signing until I know what that scale looks like with exact figures. They agreed that they would have that information before I sign.
      License reimbursement of $1170
      $1500/year CME
      UpToDate annual subscription--approx. $500
      Benefits eligible 1st of the month following 60 days of employment--Is this normal??
      Non-compete clause--they haven't stated the exact details. I will get this information before I sign.
      401K plan--have to wait 1 year to receive a match, but after that year I am 100% vested. After 1 year of employment they will match 100% up to 4%, then 50% of the next 3%.
      PTO accrual: 2 weeks in the first year, then increases incrementally yearly after that. They haven't stated exactly what it will incrementally increase to yet though. Again, will not sign until these numbers are firm and included in the offer.

Thoughts?? Initially, I asked for $64/hr, which breaks down to $129, 024/year. I am thinking I want to counter with $61/hr--only a difference of $2984 over the course of a year (extra $248/month--that's a good chunk of our childcare).

In any case, let me know honest thoughts. Anything that stands out as concerning? Thanks Forum! I've been reading other's post their contract offers, and have been waiting for my opportunity to post!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More