Hi all,

I'm in Junior year w/ 4.0 GPA - I'm an older student - spent 2011-2017 working for the DOD as a civilian contractor in PTSD research.  Gained a lot of one on one patient/subject time during those years (3000+) which several PA schools have told me will count toward applications (USC/Duke/LLU/UCD etc). 

Issue is I've been a full time student since mid 2017 and won't realistically be applying until 2020/2021. Will my patient hours be too long ago/expire?

(I can go back to full time work, but it would delay my graduation time and possibly impact grades. I have a child and an active duty spouse about to deploy so significant unpaid volunteer hours aren't an option. Have to be able to cover childcare). 

TL:DR is there a limit in time between when you got your patient hours and when you apply?

I have seen some programs say that the PCE hours must have been prior to "X" amount of years, but that was only a handful of programs. I think it is pretty rare.

2 hours ago, Cadapter said:

I have seen some programs say that the PCE hours must have been prior to "X" amount of years, but that was only a handful of programs. I think it is pretty rare.

I have heard of this as well, specifically from programs that want a lot of HCE/PCE.  They seem to want at least some portion of it to be current-ish (within the last year or two) but never stop counting older HCE/PCE

Guest HopeToBePAC

I will be applying to a school that wants the PCE to be prior to 2 years from the submission of your application, meaning anything older than 2 years from the day you submit the app wouldn't count. However, the MAJORITY of schools will accept PCE no matter how long ago the experience(s) were. So, I wouldn't worry about it, just double-check the schools' websites to make sure they don't have any specific criteria; if they do, it should be stated under their requirements. 

21 hours ago, ARKprePA said:

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll double check the schools individual criteria.

I was just accepted to PA school and most of my PCE is from 10-12 years ago. Best of luck.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By gavnj
      I feel like I'm seeing more and more current college students and recent grads on here, knowing that they want to pursue PA right out of the gate (which is awesome!)
      I'm curious what the breakdown is of pre-PA folks here who are pursuing a career pivot to PA vs those who are pursuing PA as their first career (or whose PCE/HCE job was chosen specifically to meet PA school requirements)? 
      (I've been a certified athletic trainer for 7 years and have had my sights set on PA for about 4 years --  had to spruce up the ol' GPA prior to applying -- this year is my first application cycle! I've absolutely loved being and ATC, and plan to keep my certification active as a PA, but have reached the point where I really want to be able to do more for my patients. I know, cliche... but true.)
    • By emrose4242
      Hi! I was recently accepted into a program that I didn't think I would be too fond of, but I ended up falling in love with the program! I am interviewing at my original top choice on the 13th, and I have been having a hard time deciding what school I would choose if I were to get in to this other program as well. I would love to hear what current students think. School A (the one I have already been accepted to) is a 1 hour commute, ( I can't afford to move or get an apartment, I am lucky enough to live with my boyfriend who pays the mortgage). This is the biggest downside to this school. I don't know how commuting an hour both ways, 5 days a week, will work with the course load. School B is a 30 minute commute. School A is also about $15,000 more expensive. The reason I justify price is that this program is 28 months, which is 4 months longer than school B (where I am interviewing on the 13th). I love that the clinical rotations are 5 weeks, instead of 4 at school B. There are also 2 elective clinical sites and school A, as opposed to only 1 at school B. They are both very new programs so they're pretty comparable when it comes to everything else that I've looked into!

So my questions are:
      1. If you have a long commute to your PA program, do you regret it/how do you like it?
      2. Will 1 additional week in each clinical site and 1 additional elective make a difference/ is it worth the $15,000 additional?
      3. Will I get to the 24 month point at school A and wish that I went to school B so that I could be finished already?
      Thank you so much for any input you all can provide!!
    • By Ronsubac
      Hello, I am thinking of applying to PA school next week (ATSU central coast program) and want someone to review my personal statement. Please message me privately if you can help out! Thank you 🙂
    • By DPTtoPA23
      Hey guys!
      I'm new here, but was reaching out for advice. I am currently working as a PT and find myself often looking into becoming a PA with a desire to understand the medical model more. I love my job as a PT but don't know if I feel the passion I once thought I had. I would love to hear from anyone else who made this jump from PT/PTA/OT to PA. 
      What made you decide to leave your field and enter into a new and rigorous graduate program?
      Was the intensity of the course work and potentially added debt worth it?
      Do you feel that your prior career helped you at all through the graduate program?
      I have almost paid all of my student debt down from undergrad/PT school, have worked for two years and have a husband who can support me financially through PA school if I choose to go that route.
      I graduated undergraduate with a 3.95 GPA, my DPT program with a 3.96 GPA and got a 300 on the GRE. I feel well equipped but would just love to hear from others and their experiences! 
      Thanks everyone!
    • By TallPA
      Hello everyone,
      I have been playing professional baseball since 2014. Due to covid, there is a chance my career could be cut short due to contracts (long un-needed story). I was a student athlete in college until I was drafted after my junior year in 2014. There are definitely more difficult situations out there, but being a student athlete at my school meant I had 2-3 hours to study per day starting at 8-9pm and we lifted at 5am every day. Finishing my degree in minor league baseball was just as tough. 12 hour bus rides twice a week, hotels, 10 hour days at the field, and playing for 6 months with only 2 days off a month. Not trying to make excuses, it was just tough for me.
      I still need to take organic chemistry, but my cGPA is 3.3 and my sGPA is 3.2. I have not taken the GRE and I have about 80 documented hours of shadowing, with over 300 undocumented hours.

Until it is certain my career has ended, what can I do to stay fresh on all my sciences? Have I missed anything to apply for PA school? Do I have a chance of getting in to school? A friend of mine is a physician and said medical/PA schools love unique stories and backgrounds. Even with my story, I want everything else to show I have a passion for medicine and I’m willing to bust my butt in school when I can strictly focus on school.
      Thank y’all in advance for any honest feedback!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More