End of June too late?

Hi!

I will be applying during the 2019-2020 CASPA cycle, and I'm wondering if the end of June is too late to submit my applications? The only reason is to gain more patient care - submitting at the end of June puts me at ~ 1200. 

Otherwise, my stats are roughly:

GPA: 3.99

GRE: 319

Research hours: 1500

Volunteer hours: 200

Shadowing hours: 50

I turned my app in around mid to end of August.  Received an interview for November and was accepted eventually.  So, no, June is not necessarily too late.

It really depends on how the schools you apply to choose to review applications.  If you are applying to schools that have a rolling admissions process, then it would be best to get your app in as early as possible to be considered.  For schools without rolling admissions, the deadline is simply just that - a deadline.

I have heard of people submit their apps the night before the deadline and they were still able to land an interview and get accepted! Just like the above poster said, just make sure the schools you apply to aren’t on rolling admissions! And also, I believe you can update your patient care hours even after you have submitted your app.

I agree with Blynn12 - I applied to 10 schools this past cycle with December and January deadlines - I submitted CASPA September 1st and was verified September 4th.

I received 5 interviews and 3 acceptances (2 of the interviews I declined to attend because I had chosen my school). Of note, most of those schools were actually rolling admissions. You just have to be smart about it - I knew I wasn't going to be able to apply early, so I only considered schools with Dec/Jan deadlines. I know what you mean about the patient care though, that was a huge reason I waited as well.

So, June is definitely not too late! If anything it is even on the early/normal side. Good luck! 

With your stats and experience, June should definitely be plenty of time.  To give you an idea, I applied on August 28 for 4 schools with September 1 deadlines and 3 schools with October 1 deadlines and I got interview invitations to almost all the schools I applied to, including my top 3 programs!  I got rejections from 2 schools - one of which places heavy preference on military service and only fills a class of 20 and I was missing documentation on their supplemental and the other of which was a rolling admissions school, so my late application did hurt me in this instance.

As someone mentioned before, if the school is based upon rolling admissions, the earlier you apply, the greater your chance of acceptance. Otherwise, your stats are pretty competitive and you should definitely be fine applying in June. Best of luck!

Archived