What are my chances 2019-2020? Second Cycle Applicant

Second time, older applicant looking to reapply this coming cycle -- CASPA verified early this past cycle with low GPA (2.93) and outstanding prereqs, which led to 5 app submissions and prompt rejections. Hoping that I've improved, but still looking for advice on how I can try to standout being on the low GPA end of things and thoughts on retaking the GRE!

• Undergrad Degree (2008): BS in Comm Studies & Rhetoric
  • PostBacc (2016-2019)
  • cGPA: 3.3 (undergrad, 3.3)
  • sGPA: currently 3.13 (undergrad, 2.63) -- if I get an A in Immunology (3 credits) this coming Spring, I will have a sGPA of 3.18; if I take 4 credits and get an A, I will have a 3.2
  • Post-Bacc GPA: 3.6
  • Disclosure: DUI conviction 10 yrs ago

Pre-req courses:

• Biostats: B-
  • Psych: A
  • Bio1: A
  • Bio2: A
  • A&P1: B-
  • Gen Chem1: C+ (W from 5 yrs ago when I enrolled and dropped)
  • Gen Chem2: C+
  • A&P2: A-
  • BioChem: A
  • MicroBio: A
  • Genetics: A-
  • Pending Immunology course this Spring

GRE: 306, V158--Q148--W3.5

LoRs: 2 oncology attendings/primary investigators; 1 PA; 1 NP; 1 academic letter -- bio prof

Hours:

• PCE: By the time I apply, 7074 hrs (8 yrs clinical research coordinator, CRC, in oncology clinical research)
  • HCE: 7074 hrs (8 yrs clinical research associate, CRA, in oncology clinical research)
  • Research: 1572 hrs
  • Volunteer: 50 hrs, helping at a homeless clinic since Jan 2018
  • PA shadowing: 28 hrs surgical oncology and pediatric oncology

I split my hours as 45% PCE/45% HCE /10% Research

CRC - in the clinic w/patients (interviewing pts about PMH, one-on-one pt research interviews regarding Quality of Life, discussing & outlining the patient's course of treatment on vs. off-protocol, discussing the goals and medical implications of participating and answering questions about treatment, recruitment, and screening & assessing patient toxicities in clinic with physicians/PAs and through chart reviews, etc)

CRA - clerical in regards to submitting necessary safety paperwork, chart reviews for tox assessments, scheduling patient appts, ordering necessary protocol labs and scans, data collection and entry, editing the research protocol, audit preparation, etc.

Research - time spent more specifically pulling, sorting, and analyzing data for publications, mtgs with the stats team, MDs, etc.

Edited by NEprePA

Guest HopeToBePAC

I'm sure you know this, but your GPA is on the lower end. However, to compensate for that, you have a lot of PCE. The one thing I would ask is if CRC is accepted as direct patient care at the places you're applying -- something you may want to double check unless you've confirmed this already. You're GRE score is average, but it's good you got over the 300 mark; I really wouldn't re-take it. Volunteering, research, LORs, and shadowing seem good. Just write a killer personal statement, and apply to schools that emphasize PCE over GPA, and apply to a wide range of schools. Good luck!

• 2 years later...
On 1/2/2019 at 5:09 PM, NEprePA said:

Second time, older applicant looking to reapply this coming cycle -- CASPA verified early this past cycle with low GPA (2.93) and outstanding prereqs, which led to 5 app submissions and prompt rejections. Hoping that I've improved, but still looking for advice on how I can try to standout being on the low GPA end of things and thoughts on retaking the GRE!

• Undergrad Degree (2008): BS in Comm Studies & Rhetoric
  • PostBacc (2016-2019)
  • cGPA: 3.3 (undergrad, 3.3)
  • sGPA: currently 3.13 (undergrad, 2.63) -- if I get an A in Immunology (3 credits) this coming Spring, I will have a sGPA of 3.18; if I take 4 credits and get an A, I will have a 3.2
  • Post-Bacc GPA: 3.6
  • Disclosure: DUI conviction 10 yrs ago

Pre-req courses:

• Biostats: B-
  • Psych: A
  • Bio1: A
  • Bio2: A
  • A&P1: B-
  • Gen Chem1: C+ (W from 5 yrs ago when I enrolled and dropped)
  • Gen Chem2: C+
  • A&P2: A-
  • BioChem: A
  • MicroBio: A
  • Genetics: A-
  • Pending Immunology course this Spring

GRE: 306, V158--Q148--W3.5

LoRs: 2 oncology attendings/primary investigators; 1 PA; 1 NP; 1 academic letter -- bio prof

Hours:

• PCE: By the time I apply, 7074 hrs (8 yrs clinical research coordinator, CRC, in oncology clinical research)
  • HCE: 7074 hrs (8 yrs clinical research associate, CRA, in oncology clinical research)
  • Research: 1572 hrs
  • Volunteer: 50 hrs, helping at a homeless clinic since Jan 2018
  • PA shadowing: 28 hrs surgical oncology and pediatric oncology

I split my hours as 45% PCE/45% HCE /10% Research

CRC - in the clinic w/patients (interviewing pts about PMH, one-on-one pt research interviews regarding Quality of Life, discussing & outlining the patient's course of treatment on vs. off-protocol, discussing the goals and medical implications of participating and answering questions about treatment, recruitment, and screening & assessing patient toxicities in clinic with physicians/PAs and through chart reviews, etc)

CRA - clerical in regards to submitting necessary safety paperwork, chart reviews for tox assessments, scheduling patient appts, ordering necessary protocol labs and scans, data collection and entry, editing the research protocol, audit preparation, etc.

Research - time spent more specifically pulling, sorting, and analyzing data for publications, mtgs with the stats team, MDs, etc.

I saw you have since been accepted. I also have a DUI (two actually at 17 and 19 years old) from 11 years ago. I would love to ask some questions about how you navigated this as I’m having trouble finding guidance on this particular topic. Specifically to address or not to address in personal statement?