Workflow

My office is expanding and we've remodeled a neighboring office for me to move into.  Currently my nurse and I share the same office so it's easy to communicate orders and tasks to each other.  In this new space, we will be in separate offices with a few exam rooms in between.  I put orders into our EMR, but usually verbalize what I want and don't use the EMR to order repeat BPs and such.  Just wondering how you guys communicate with your MAs/nurses.  The pediatrician I use for my kids has a white board above his workstation that's split into rooms.  He'll write what he needs - labs, UA, immunizations ect. - on the board for the nurse to know what to do.  Thanks in advance to any tips to try to make a productive workflow.

We put small wipe off boards on each door of an exam room. No personal info on the boards - I would put - “neb and pfs” or “Orthostatics” or whatever and we had these goofy flags outside the door. I would put all the colored flags out to let the nurse know she was needed.

When done, flags down and a check mark on the white board.

I like old school easy communication.

Now I use Skype instant messaging to locate my LPN or RN.  Still no PHI, just last initial and last 4 of SSN and what I need with a please.

Archived