From International Business major to PA

Hi, 

I will keep it as simple as possible. 

I have graduated Azerbaijan Cooperation University (which is located in Baku, Azerbaijan) with International Business Relations and minor Commerce (with a force of family) in 2012. I moved to the states in 2014 and been located in Florida since then. 

And now, I am decided I want to get into medical field. I contacted to FIU for PA degree (which the competition to get in is very high) besides pre-requisites, I didn't know that I have to have medical background experience. (Quote from the FIU representative: "While direct patient care experience is not mandatory it is strongly recommended to strengthen your knowledge and enhance the competitiveness of your application")  

In the beginning of 2018, I graduated school for paramedical esthetician (mainly to keep myself healthier) and hence it is (probably) not considered medical background, I thought my best shot would nursing degree, so I could learn and volunteer for hours too. But I have been reading (also people saying) if I plan for PA I souldnt waste my time in RN taking extra time consuming courses, rather go into biology or something.  

So, I will start to take pre-requisites no matter what school I am going to, but I am kind of lost (having abundant of options makes it stressful). 

Then, another question is popping out: Will it work to graduate Nursing Bachelor and not to be RN, and straightforward apply to PA? 

Thank you for time for reading and answering. And ask any question if something is unclear above. 

Guest HopeToBePAC

First, and foremost, you will want to make sure your bachelor's degree is accepted by the PA schools you're interested in since it wasn't completed in the U.S. You will want to research the prerequisite classes for the schools you're interested in as well, because they vary.

I've never heard of a paramedical esthetician before but from a quick internet search to me it seems like it would qualify for direct patient care experience, but definitely check with the schools you're interested in. Some may accept it, others may not. 

I would advise against the nursing route, only because it's going to be a longer journey. Complete a BSN takes 4 years in itself. If your current degree is something PA schools will accept, then all you need to do is take prerequisite classes, which in your case might take 1 or 2 years max. For healthcare experience, there are an abundant of other options and certification for those is obtained much quicker, such as becoming a CNA, EMT, or MA, just to name a few. 

Also, graduating with a Bachelor's in Nursing and not working as an RN doesn't make sense and won't do you any good.

I hope this clears things up! I tried to answer with the best of my knowledge, but hopefully others can chime in. 

Edited by HopeToBePAC
you're*

Generic BNS at FIU offers 5 semeters, 125 credits to graduate. 

PA prerequisites is almost same, 11 courses, each 4 semesters (excluding 3 of them). 

Will I take core percentages of PA prerequisites courses (organic and general chemistry, general microbiology, human psychology and anatomy, zoology/biology, genetics) going to generic BSN?

If yes, i was thinking i could have another profession in 3 years, rather just taking prerequisites.

I also forgot to mention, i will be driving truck for upcoming years, so I have to take all courses online (which makes me so confused). 

Guest HopeToBePAC

I

2 hours ago, alibayli said:

Generic BNS at FIU offers 5 semeters, 125 credits to graduate. 

PA prerequisites is almost same, 11 courses, each 4 semesters (excluding 3 of them). 

Will I take core percentages of PA prerequisites courses (organic and general chemistry, general microbiology, human psychology and anatomy, zoology/biology, genetics) going to generic BSN?

If yes, i was thinking i could have another profession in 3 years, rather just taking prerequisites.

I also forgot to mention, i will be driving truck for upcoming years, so I have to take all courses online (which makes me so confused). 

I'm assuming you mean BSN and not BNS, and if so, you could do it if it only takes 5 semesters, however, you should consider doing this if you plan on WORKING as an RN after graduation with a BSN so you can accumulate the patient care experience required for PA schools. So you'd ideally work at least 1 year as a Registered Nurse (taking prerequisite PA school classes that weren't included in your BSN degree) along the way. You'd then be ready to apply after. So, if everything is lined up correctly, that would be 5 semesters to get your BSN (~ 2.5 years) and working as an RN (1-2 years), applying and getting accepted to PA school (~1 year, this is assuming you get in on your first try). So you're looking at 4.5 - 5 years. 

On the other hand, you could choose not to do a BSN, and just take prereqs for PA school (~1-1.5 years), and get certified as a CNA, EMT, MA, etc. The time frame for this will vary hugely, some places don't require certifications at all and will train you on job, while some can take between 2 weeks and 6 months. (EX: the CNA course I took to become certified was 2 weeks long). You'd then apply after you work for about 6 months to 1 year, this is ALONGSIDE taking your prereqs. The whole process here, and applying, will take between 2 and 3 years total. 

I hope this helps! Note: I'm pre-pa and just stating my advice, so take everything with a grain of salt. I'd definitely ask around more -- perhaps PAs you might know through friends/family, FIU's PA department, etc. on the best course of action for you. 

Edited by HopeToBePAC
PA*

15 hours ago, HopeToBePAC said:

I

I'm assuming you mean BSN and not BNS, and if so, you could do it if it only takes 5 semesters, however, you should consider doing this if you plan on WORKING as an RN after graduation with a BSN so you can accumulate the patient care experience required for PA schools. So you'd ideally work at least 1 year as a Registered Nurse (taking prerequisite PA school classes that weren't included in your BSN degree) along the way. You'd then be ready to apply after. So, if everything is lined up correctly, that would be 5 semesters to get your BSN (~ 2.5 years) and working as an RN (1-2 years), applying and getting accepted to PA school (~1 year, this is assuming you get in on your first try). So you're looking at 4.5 - 5 years. 

On the other hand, you could choose not to do a BSN, and just take prereqs for PA school (~1-1.5 years), and get certified as a CNA, EMT, MA, etc. The time frame for this will vary hugely, some places don't require certifications at all and will train you on job, while some can take between 2 weeks and 6 months. (EX: the CNA course I took to become certified was 2 weeks long). You'd then apply after you work for about 6 months to 1 year, this is ALONGSIDE taking your prereqs. The whole process here, and applying, will take between 2 and 3 years total. 

I hope this helps! Note: I'm pre-pa and just stating my advice, so take everything with a grain of salt. I'd definitely ask around more -- perhaps PAs you might know through friends/family, FIU's PA department, etc. on the best course of action for you. 

Hi Hopetobepac, thank you detailed insight. That gave new perspectives i can think about.