New Year and New Job

It's time to get out of Family Medicine. I'm tired of seeing too many complicated patients in too little time,  call center personnel filling my schedule with inappropriate BS, Press Ganey comments PUBLISHED about us providers on our health system's website ,  charting from home 2-3 hours per day,  and the daily fear of missing something and killing someone, as I've already dropped the ball by not following up within 6 weeks on a "possible infiltrate" that is looking now like metastatic lung Ca. 4 months later. 

I am a smart, compassionate, very empathetic person, but I am tired and stressed. The follow up is endless, the paperwork is insane.

My SP is awesome, but it's not enough .

I will not do it anymore.  He'll have to understand.

May sound crazy, but I am focusing my job search on Psych/ Addiction medicine. I moonlight in that capacity and actually find it very rewarding. Wish me luck, and please- if you are where I am , get out too!  Life is too short and we've worked too hard to be miserable on the job.

might not jump from current job with out voicing your concerns to management/bean counters

if nothing else it shows them you care, and maybe it will change for the next person

I have seen the tides change locally to where they are now trying to let the PCP actually do their jobs and going to 15, 30 60 min appointments

Consider a good correctional medicine (not a bad one)

maybe a acute rehab facility for some medicine and dependency issues- straight BUP clinics sounds horrid but an acute detox facility can e fun - challenging medicine, not their PCP for years, challenging cases.....

Archived