RVU salary and PTO...

How is PTO typically handled in a RVU only , eat what you kill, type salary situation? Has anyone seen a mechanism built in where you get an average RVU reimbursement for your PTO or something similar? Or are most places saying you don't get paid if you're not working?. Because if you're not getting paid for time off.. well ...it's not really Paid Time Off now is it... 

THANKS! 

In my current job (only 2 weeks before changing to new employer) I am paid a base salary regardless of my productivity.  I am also paid a monthly RVU bonus for any production beyond a specific threshold.  When I go on vacation I don't produce RVUs, so it takes it off my bonus.

If you are paid only productivity you are usually paid only productivity...in other words if you aren't working, you aren't producing, therefore you aren't paid.

This sounds bad, but often RVU based pay can be VERY lucrative, making the lost productivity for ~5 weeks worth it.  But, you have to calculate out your income including the lost productivity from vacation, CME, etc.

not a fan of that system. a group near us does that. they prorate your salary based on avg rvus with a potential year end bonus if you are better than avg. a buddy of mine opened his "bonus check" envelope at the end of the year and it said "you owe us $5000 as you did not make the avg rvu goal this year for which you have already been paid". he gave them 5k and quit that day. 

11 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

not a fan of that system. a group near us does that. they prorate your salary based on avg rvus with a potential year end bonus if you are better than avg. a buddy of mine opened his "bonus check" envelope at the end of the year and it said "you owe us $5000 as you did not make the avg rvu goal this year for which you have already been paid". he gave them 5k and quit that day. 

We had an RVU system similar to this at my last job. Thankfully they had guaranteed salary floors for new hires and for the other providers any time they hired a new provider. Instead of demanding a check at the end of the year if your did not meet goal they simply lowered your salary the next year, but it was stupid. Unless you have a slammed clinic, it can be stressful.

I work on a 100% wRVU and it is a program that I created. No one else in our system works like this. I get paid well for the wRVUs, but when I take time off, and I can take as little or as much as I want, I do not get paid. I do have a generous benefit program (paying professional fees, retirement and health insurance) but no PTO, per my design.

Archived