NCCPA practice Exams

Hi all. I'm taking PANRE for the first time on Monday. Do the NCCPA practice Exams correlate well with what you see on PANRE? If one does well on these practice exams, do most also do well on PANRE? Are the questions pretty similar?

Seems to be mostly practice based--Pt has these symptoms, what would you do next?

I did my recert in 2006 and was nervous about the exam as I hadn't taken a test in 6 years. I did spring for the $35 practice exam and thought it was money well-spent. The questions were indeed similar in style & scope and I ended up smoking the test, so I felt pretty reassured after all.

If you've been in primary care in any way/shape/form you will do fine; but if you are a specialty PA or extremely limited in what you treat, it's worth brushing up on general medicine topics esp peds/ob/gyn and reviewing pharm.

Good luck! It's not that bad.

I got my results today and passed with flying colors. That's pretty quick to get results--5 days. I think the NCCPA exams were the closest to the real thing, and at least gave me a sense of what to expect. I am quite sure 3-4 questions from the practice exam showed up on my PANRE! Davis was too hard and specific (but I thought a great review), AAPA and yellow Lange questions were too easy.

Overall, I found the test to be just awful. When I realized that this test was just a hoop to jump through, and not a real test of my ability to do my job or *useful* medical knowledge, I felt much better about it. I really would have no idea how to suggest studying for this part of the exam. I was surprised by the amount of pharm on this test, especially side effects. Quite a bit was pretty esoteric, not normal things you should know (like an ACE causing a cough). I thought there was a ton of endocrine (which I hate), while my friend thought there was too much about eyes (which she hates). So I guess what you feel deficient at is what's going to stick out.

I think I did well b/c I'm a generalist and encounter a large variety of medical problems daily. I can't imagine having to take this test if I was specialized!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived