PA Residency AND Online DMSc at the same time??

I have decided that I will be completing both of these. Wondering if anyone has done both at the same time?

I’m considering Lynchburg DMSc + Carolinas Healthcare 12-month Residency (looking at Hospitalist). 

Lynchburg will accept the residency for the 16 credits of clinical work. 

However, I do hear that PA Residencies can involve ~60 Hours of work each week. There’s that and then 20-30 hours/wk of Doctorate work on top of that. 

Does this seem feasible? Has anyone completed either of these programs? I’ve been reading through DMSc and Residency posts but would like more input. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

I just interviewed for the EM fellowship at Carolinas and we were given the impression that the majority of fellows are concurrently completing their online DMSc through Lynchburg. Apparently, they've set up the same partnership with Lynchburg that Arrowhead has. They are the only two fellowship programs in the country to partner with them so far. 

One of my friends is a hospitalist fellow at Carolinas and he said that his schedule is 7-on/7-off (at least during his core hospital medicine rotations). This seems to me like it would be conducive to completing an online program at the same time, with the majority of your doctorate work taking place during your "off" weeks. 

Edited by karebear12892
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I have decided that I will be completing both of these. Wondering if anyone has done both at the same time?
I’m considering Lynchburg DMSc + Carolinas Healthcare 12-month Residency (looking at Hospitalist). 
Lynchburg will accept the residency for the 16 credits of clinical work. 
However, I do hear that PA Residencies can involve ~60 Hours of work each week. There’s that and then 20-30 hours/wk of Doctorate work on top of that. 
Does this seem feasible? Has anyone completed either of these programs? I’ve been reading through DMSc and Residency posts but would like more input. Thank you so much!
That's exciting! I wish you the best sounds like a great plan!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, MedicinePower said:

What will an $18,000 DMSc do for someone who is a MSPAS and has completed or will complete a residency?

Get them higher pay in any federal govt position (state, dept. FBOP, PHS, etc)

Get them tenure if they ever work in academics and get them hired before someone with an MS.

Put them on an even footing vs a DNP in the mind of some HR person who has no idea what PA school or residency entails.

Make it easier for them to be primary investigator in a research study and more likely to get grants, etc(many of my classmates in my doctoral program were PAs who worked for the CDC, DEA, FDA, etc and got their DHSc for this reason). 

Get them more street cred in any administrative capacity or when talking to legislators. ( Dr Emedpa has gotten several invites to be on boards, be director of mission programs, etc. Emedpa, MS did not). 

• Upvote 4