GRE Prep time?

Hi all, 

How long did the majority of you spend studying for the GRE? Currently I am considering taking it on January 25th. I just started studying recently and I work full-time. On January 8th I will start my spring semester with 12 credit hours. I will be able to spend on average 2.5 hours per day studying 5 days per week. Any study material recommendations you have are also appreciated. I am currently sing Test Prep Scholar and Magoosh Flash Cards. Thanks!

I studied on and off for three months. I worked full-time and also was taking  2 prereq classes at the time. I signed up for the 6-month (or it might've been 3 months) usage of Magoosh as they were having a special sale. I definitely recommend it. I knew the quantitative section would be my weak point and Magoosh offered explanation step-by-step videos which helped me tremendously. They have videos on concepts and tips, all of which were very helpful in managing my time in answering questions. Also for the verbal, the videos have explanations and they go through why an option may or may not be the best answer. Highly recommend using Magoosh for more than their flashcards in your preparation. I also found the practice exams a bit more harder but that only helps you in the long-run with the actual exam. Good luck!

I bought a kaplan book 3 weeks prior to testing and gave it the old college try for less than a week.  Gave up and just skimmed for key pointers.  And I took it about 5 years after finishing undergrad (i.e long past utilizing the content, used to testing, etc) and had no problems.

Bottom line:  this all very much depends on you.

I highly recommend investing in the Magoosh online subscription to study. Do the practice problems and videos a couple of hours a day. Rinse and repeat until you’re scoring in the range you’d like to be in. Only other resources I used were the free ETS and Manhattan Prep practice tests.

I think I studied for about a month and scored a 318.

Edit: Wanted to add that I took the GRE just after coming out of a science and math heavy undergrad degree. 

I studied off and on for 2 months after work and on weekends, seriously for 1 month. The last math class i took was 10 yrs ago so that portion took me the longest. I also used Magoosh online during this time and it really helped me with the math portion. I focused on that and memorized common vocabulary. Their predictive score was also close to what i actually scored. I scored a 314, good luck!

If you haven't seen math for several years, I'd say 3 months is a good, safe time frame. 

I gave myself about 2 months of "quality" studying and I didn't do well on the quantitative portion (148), but I also didn't see any of that math for over 10 years.

If you have no time limitations, getting Magoosh and working on a problem set each night over a few months would likely be adequate.

3 months of concentrated practice is fine 

I used magoosh and would personally recommend it

The videos are pretty helpful as far as general strategies to use and how to approach the test and what methods to use. The methods magoosh uses are designed with speed in mind, which is crucial for success on the test. 

If you get a question wrong on the practice questions and you don't know why, watch the video(s) at the bottom 

Oh, also the ETS website has a fee waiver if you're financially challenged like I am. It cuts the fee in half. Also ETS gives you some practice tests, which I also highly recommend taking because they simulate the time constraints of the actual test. 

Archived