First Derm Job?

So, I've read that it's very difficult to land your first derm job, ESPECIALLY straight out of a 5- Year program, with no prior experience. New grads in derm and also experienced derm PAs, is it as impossible as it seems? I feel like it would be easier for me if I start off in EM or FM and then transition into Derm, but then I feel like those one or two years spent in another specialty will just feel like stepping stones for me. 

luckily for me:

- I don't care which state I work in after school (It'll be like an adventure for me to move to a far state)

- I feel quite confident that derm is the specialty I want 

- I don't care if I don't receive super high compensation for my first 1-2 years in derm

Yes it is possible. I am a new grad in dermatology. I was fortunate enough to find a supervising physician who needed help in his high volume clinic. Unfortunately, the practice is not managed well and there is abuse of my position as a PA. Be sure to know your worth when it comes to compensation, even as a new grad and don't let practices take advantage of you. 

My best advice is to sign up for LinkedIn if you haven't already and connect with recruiters. Make contact with them. They obviously know who is hiring and you may be surprised how many new grads that some SP's want because they want to "mold" you so that you fit into their practice. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/16/2018 at 12:51 PM, DermatologyPA said:

Yes it is possible. I am a new grad in dermatology. I was fortunate enough to find a supervising physician who needed help in his high volume clinic. Unfortunately, the practice is not managed well and there is abuse of my position as a PA. Be sure to know your worth when it comes to compensation, even as a new grad and don't let practices take advantage of you. 

My best advice is to sign up for LinkedIn if you haven't already and connect with recruiters. Make contact with them. They obviously know who is hiring and you may be surprised how many new grads that some SP's want because they want to "mold" you so that you fit into their practice. 

Hey there! any idea how to find the recruiters on linked in? I am trying to do this but having trouble finding recruiters 

Archived