pa-to-be

newly practicing in fam med

basic questions here: I'm a new grad and just started practicing in a private family med clinic seeing acute care pts.

what are the recommended professional societies to join here?

also, I'm considering getting a DEA; can anyone give me the run down? I know I need CME but are some CME resources better than others? Do I have to complete it prior to applying?

any suggested reading resources? (not apps or pocket guides; got that covered)

keep in mind you can not write any controlled substances until you have a dea. most folks get this before they start working.

consider joining the AAPA, PAFT, as well as your state and specialty societies.

For FP, the AAPA conference is quite good. also your state pa society likely has a yearly cme event. At a bare minimum get and keep current ACLS and PALS courses.

Primary care secrets covers a lot of fp related stuff in a great format. also Minor Emergencies, splinters to fractures for the urgent care type stuff.

Just to add: Florida limits PAs prescribing to schedule III and up. Still, getting your DEA will make you more marketable and will help in your practice. DEA cost may be reimbursable by your employer...

I second joining FAPA. I also suggest attending a conference when you are settled.

Congratulations on your graduation !