WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?

I know this question gets asked plenty of times within these forums, I just would like to know if I a competitive for this upcoming cycle.

23. Hispanic Male.

Overall GPA:3.6

Science GPA: 3.2

Respiratory Therapy GPA: 4.0

Volunteer hours: 1000

Letters of recommendation: All which are very strong.

-Two from physicians that I currently work closely with

-A letter from my Director from my respiratory therapy program

-A letter from a science course professor.

I currently have around 1,200 hours working as a respiratory therapist along with about 800 hours working as a medical assistant while I was enrolled within the respiratory therapy program. I would like to attend programs that do not require the GRE in which I researched and found about 80 that do not require the exam. But I am not opposed to studying for it if that will make myself a more competitive applicant.

I think you would be a fine addition to any PA program and our profession. A program would be silly not to offer you an interview with your background and stats. best of luck! Please add U.WA/Medex to your list of programs. You meet their experience requirements with 2000 hours of HCE so far and would fit in well there with your background. ( I have heard they have the best clinical preceptors too.....:) )

13 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

I think you would be a fine addition to any PA program and our profession. A program would be silly not to offer you an interview with your background and stats. best of luck! Please add U.WA/Medex to your list of programs. You meet their experience requirements with 2000 hours of HCE so far and would fit in well there with your background. ( I have heard they have the best clinical preceptors too.....:) )

I appreciate your words of encouragement, gives me a sense of hope since I know this process is extremely competitive.

20 minutes ago, baseballfan46 said:

I appreciate your words of encouragement, gives me a sense of hope since I know this process is extremely competitive.

you have good grades and your experience is better than 90% of today's applicants. Shadow a PA and/or get a letter from a PA you work with if at all possible to show you know about the profession through close exposure. I had two letters, one written by a doc I worked with for years, and the other by a PA I worked with for years. I was not even going to apply to the program I ended up attending except for the recommendation of that PA. he was right. I could not have asked for a better education than I got at Drexel. Look carefully at the rotations offered by the programs you are considering. Try to focus your applications on well established programs around 10-20 + years as they tend to have the best sites. Best of luck.

Archived