Downstate vs Sophie Davis

Guest sophiepa2015

Guest sophiepa2015

Hi everyone,

I would like to hear to opinions of everyone, especially current students of this program, who can shed some light on the pros and cons of the program. This program is tied for first place with Sophie Davis for me and I'd like to have an idea as to which program is better in terms of reputation, academic quality and support, clinical experiences, and cohort diversity with a balanced mix of ethnicities and backgrounds.

Thanks so much!

Hi, I’m a PA student at Downstate currently in my clinical year. I have rotated with a few PA students from CUNY Sophie Davis’ program and I think Downstate is comparatively the better choice. I’ve heard that the faculty is not very supportive at CUNY and they don’t have as many clinical site options as Downstate does. They have also told me that their clinical skills lab was lacking due to budget constraints and they did not feel comfortable performing things like venipuncture and IVs. In my opinion, Downstate is the better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest sophiepa2015
31 minutes ago, rubyPA said:

Hi, I’m a PA student at Downstate currently in my clinical year. I have rotated with a few PA students from CUNY Sophie Davis’ program and I think Downstate is comparatively the better choice. I’ve heard that the faculty is not very supportive at CUNY and they don’t have as many clinical site options as Downstate does. They have also told me that their clinical skills lab was lacking due to budget constraints and they did not feel comfortable performing things like venipuncture and IVs. In my opinion, Downstate is the better option.

Thanks so much! This was very helpful

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2018 at 9:20 PM, rubyPA said:

Hey Ruby, can you tell me how are Downstate’s clinical sites? Is it reputable, diverse, are there plenty of sites? Hoping to get more insight on this. Thank you so much!

• 5 months later...
On 2/21/2019 at 10:06 PM, Jordan25 said:

Hey Ruby, can you tell me how are Downstate’s clinical sites? Is it reputable, diverse, are there plenty of sites? Hoping to get more insight on this. Thank you so much!

Downstate's clinical sites are diverse, reputable, and plentiful. They are affiliated with multiple hospitals in the 5 boroughs of NYC. You will get to see all sorts of patients from different backgrounds. 

• 1 month later...