What's a typical CT PA schedule?

Hey guys, just curious.. What's a typical cardiothoracic surgery PA schedule like? A PA I work with said that when she did her rotations in surgery, it was common for CT PA's to have an 80 hr work week. That's pretty crazy imo, and I already work 7 days a week about 50-60hrs and I'm beat. I'm curious because I was thinking of what I'd like to do eventually and well, CT surgery sounds like part of it.

On a side note, any CT PA's that moonlight as EM PA's or any other specialty? Is it doable? Thanks!

I will start by saying that it is hard to generalize because hospitals and practices have different needs and requirements. However, 50-60 hour work weeks are common.

Check out www.apacvs.org to learn about the speciatly organization for PAs in cardiac surgery, thoracic surgery, and critical care medicine. I know that APACVS is currently working on the lastest salary and benefits survey that is available to members. Hours worked and normal duties are discussed in that survery.

13 hr shifts 3 days/ nights a week. we were also able to take extra days at time&half at our leisure. Typical week was approximately 45-50 hours

Archived