I am a Biology/Pre-PA major Junior in college. I am in ROTC and participate in many extracurricular within ROTC, so I am ranked well. I am looking for advice on my chances for getting into PA school. I don't have many preferences for a PA school, my life dream has just always been to save lives within the medical field. At the time of applying for PA school I will have a 3.1-3.3 GPA, around 1000 hours as an ED medical scribe, and I worked as a pharmacy technician for a year. 

Most of my credibility outside of my GPA is ROTC which takes up a decent chunk of time which I am hoping will say something for my application. I have yet to take the GRE but plan on doing well since I will need the extra buff. I also attended basic camp and advanced camp if that helps my application at all.

What are my chances for getting into PA school and is there any advice that I can be given for my future success in the medical field. Thank you.

Very Respectfully,

Nick

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ryanj1998
      Hey there. I attend the US Coast Guard Academy, and I am strongly considering becoming a Physicians Assistant either as a Coastie, or after I leave the military as a civilian. I have been looking at many PA grad schools, and the prerequisite courses and GPA requirements concern me...
      Will these schools understand how much more challenging the US service academies are academically compared to most undergrad degrees and forgive my comparatively lower GPA?
      - I've taken above 18 credits all 5 semesters I've been here, above 20 credits twice
      - The competing military demands (Room/uniform inspection, training etc) and physical demands (Varsity sports, fitness requirements) make it hard to excel in the classroom
      Will they understand that CGA only offers 8 majors so I did the best I could do match the prereq's but simply could not meet all of them?
      - I was required to take engineering/government/buisness courses as a prerequisite to graduate
      - I was required to take Coast Guard specific courses (Navigation 1-4, Maritime Law Enforcement, etc.)
      Will schools still admit me based on the high merit that goes with being a service academy grad, and a top 25 STEM school grad? 
      Thanks!
    • By avanilla10
      Hi! So post grad life has changed my career plans from being a Doctor to a PA and honestly it's such a liberating feeling of not having to deal with the MCAT and residency. On the other hand, I don't know what my next steps should be since I made this decision very recently.
      Is there a specific program in the military (AF/Navy/Reserves?) where I can enter as an officer (I have a bachelor's in psychology and minor in sociology), get experience working in the hospital (in the pediatric ward if possible), then apply to PA school using those accrued hours as direct patient contact? And the number of X years I have to do in order to be able to get out of the military to pursue PA training?
      I would apply to PA school except I'm short on my PA pre-reqs since I've been doing pre-med pre-reqs all of undergrad, plus I didn't really get out there to work in a paid position that involves direct patient contact....and I haven't taken the GRE to boot. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but will my PA schooling, housing, etc be paid only if I get into a PA program prior to starting? Or is that a whole different program entirely dedicated for med and dental students?
      I know there's a lot to unpack here but if anyone could help me on how I should go about this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
    • By Mdc99
      Hey everyone, I wanted to get some advice and input from people that have applied/been accepted/are already in PA school. So over the course of the past two months I was invited to interview at three different schools and recently have found out that I was rejected at all of them. I have about 1,500 hours as a CNA at an assisted living facility, 1,500 hours doing direct care with mentally/physically disabled adults, and just started working at a hospital as a nurses aide about two months ago. My GPAs are: 
      -Last 60 credits: 4.0
      -cGPA: 3.91
      -science GPA: 3.97
      -I also have a 4.0 in every pre-requisite that each school required.
      My GRE scores for both sections were a little bit above average, and I got a 4.5 on the writing portion. Not going to lie, I thought I would get into at least two of the three with my GPA, or even waitlisted. I honestly didn't expect to be straight up rejected from all three. I do feel that each of the interviews went fairly well and I answered all of my questions thoroughly. I even had some conversation with the interviewers and felt very comfortable after all of them were complete. I honestly do not know what went wrong and what I can improve at this point. If anyone can give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it. 
    • By moleashish
      So, you have been accepted to HSCP. Yay! Congrats! Go celebrate (reasonably of course). Then what to do,
      Here is what I have been learning over the course of 3 months of not getting paid. I fixed most of the issues now, so hoping to start getting paid the next pay period. 
      Step 1. Get your Military ID made, ASAP. 
      Step 2. Set up mypay account. It's a pain, however once you have your military ID, do yourself a favor and invest in a CAC card reader. You will be able to set up you mypay yourself. 
      Step 3. Update Bank info on mypay. Very Important. (For some reason PSD still hasn't gotten any info about my bank account even after 2nd submission of my paperwork). 
      Step 4. Hope and pray PSD gets these info including your BAH and start paying you.

• By kluu1
      Hi I was wondering if anyone ever took the Masters in Medical Science program from UNTHSC before applying for PA school?
      It's a 1 rigorous program.
      I am interested in applying for it to possibly strengthen my application, but I would love some insight from anyone who had taken it too.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More