Job saturation? Michigan

I spoke with a few PAs in Michigan who just graduated. Some of them said they had trouble finding a good position... salary was too low, they were required to purchase their own malpractice insurance, etc. One of them said she was offered several positions during rotations, but when she graduated, the employers said they weren't looking to hire anyone at the moment. She said her classmates faced similar issues, and some still don't have jobs. Is this normal? I see that some people are offered positions at $75k-$80k which seems a bit low in my opinion. ICU RNs can make that salary. What does a typical offer look like for a new grad? Someone told me the job saturation could be due to NP schools pumping out many graduates, because I know PA school is very competitive. Then, we have all these NP and PA graduates looking for jobs, so they just settle for a low pay of $75k (ridiculous and unacceptable for a provider)... so employers see that graduates are desperate for jobs and accepting these lower paying positions, and so they can get away with offering lower salaries as well. Can someone give me some insight on this?

Scary stuff. I'm graduating PA school in June and moving back to MI. Trying schedule my elective right now to allow me more job opportunities in SE Michigan (psych or ER). You would think that better PA laws would allow for greater salaries, but I guess when you have 5 PA programs in state and a million NP programs saturation is inevitable. 

I just accepted a job that starts late January 2019: FM, 36 hours per week, $110,000 with RVU bonus structure, good benefits (but nothing special).  Granted I have 2 years of experience (6 months ortho and 1.5 years FM), but had ZERO problems finding a job.  I was not looking in Detroit, Lansing, Grand Rapids, etc. but when I looked there were several job openings in the larger cities and the one I accepted is NOT rural.

Michigan seems like the opposite.  It seems like the more populated areas: Ann Arbor and Southwest MI are hiring whereas there are just a handful of posted openings in my town of 30,000.  I would look at MAPA's website for jobs.  I get regular e-mails and there are always multiple through Bronson Hospital in Southwest MI. 

I can't speak to salaries because there is a great deal of regional variation.

There are certainly saturated areas. NP school proliferation and the ease and comparative low cost of an online NP school vs PA certainly has an effect. If you live in a state with independent NP practice and PAs as dependent practitioners that can have a HUGE influence on the job market making them the preferred provider. This is a big reason for OTP.

I often tell new grads the smaller the geographic area you are willing to consider the fewer the opportunities. If you want a specialty that restricts you more. The more you limit your choices the fewer choices you will have.

and I like it out here in pennsyltucky. I'm paid in the top 10th percentile in a low cost of living area.

I live and work in Flint. I just graduated in April and began my job as a trauma/general surgery PA in July. I began looking for jobs in December of 2017. I applied for roughly 30-40 jobs in 3 months, had about 6-7 interviews, and 2 job offers. As stated above, the jobs are out there. It just depends on how specific you want to be with regards to location within the state and what area of medicine you want to work in. I did notice quite a few of the jobs I had applied for were recommending/requiring a minimum of 1-2 years of experience. I did not receive an interview for any job that had said requirement. Good luck out there! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Edit: In regards to my wage. I am paid $43 an hour with a $2 an hour raise in July. I am an hourly employee so anything over 40 hours is paid at 1.5x. This has been working out nicely for me. We are able to pick up pretty much as much overtime as we like so I've been getting anywhere between 20 to 30 hours of overtime per month which equals out to an extra $1300 - $2000 per month.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:17 PM, sas5814 said:

I can't speak to salaries because there is a great deal of regional variation.

There are certainly saturated areas. NP school proliferation and the ease and comparative low cost of an online NP school vs PA certainly has an effect. If you live in a state with independent NP practice and PAs as dependent practitioners that can have a HUGE influence on the job market making them the preferred provider. This is a big reason for OTP.

Does anyone have a list of or someone who could list the states where NP's have already achieved independent practice?

Archived