Sign in to follow this  
Jamesjames

Am I Going to Have to Take Gen. Chemistry a Third Time?

I originally took general chemistry 1 at a community college and had an A as my final grade. The class had many assignments online, and most of them could be reattempted except for the tests. This was nice because it allowed better understanding of the material as well as being able to work towards a more desirable grade. However, when I transferred to a four year school I had to retake general chemistry this semester because I did not take it the first time with a lab section. I am very likely to finish the class with a C this time. The grade was made up of 4 exams and the ACS exam. Each test was pretty difficult and none were curved, despite low class averages. At least half of the class dropped by the second test. We started with 50-60 students and now have between 20-30, we even moved to a smaller classroom lol. Long story short is the grading methods in this class are a lot more brutal than in the previous one. The ironic thing is that I got a 90 in the lab section though. I just don't know how this is going to affect my ability to get into PA school, when an A or B is required for a class like chemistry. I can't imagine how confusing and stupid it will look on my transcripts to see that I got a C in a class that I already took and got an A in the first time. I feel stupid myself. Does this pretty  much mean I'll have to take it a third time? I don't know how it affects things or what to do.

a single bad grade should not sink you as long as everything else looks good. I got a few Cs back in the day and had no problem getting into PA school.

Sounds like a weed-out class to me.  Not at all uncommon in universities with primarily traditional undergrad-age students who decide to invest their efforts in major students who can swim in a sink-or-swim environment.

If the programs you are applying to have a minimum grade then yes, you may have to retake it (especially if they require the lab portion).

Unfortunately getting an A at a community college and then a C at a university might look like the CC course was too easy, not that the university was too difficult or harsh - especially when you consider plenty of PA applicants got A's in their university level chemistry courses.

I got a C in one of my prerequisites and I was sure it was going to sink my application but it didn’t (got interviews at 5/7 of the schools I applied to; accepted to my top choice). But the rest of my grades were top notch. Pay attention to your programs’ requirements because if they require a B or higher in prerequisites, you’d probably have to retake it. If not, I would just say to make sure you do your best to get A’s in the rest of your chemistry classes to prove yourself. Good luck! 

I retook gen chem 1 and gen bio 2 twice and ended up getting the same exact grades (C+) at a four-year University. Totally heartbreaking. It showed up as the same grade on CASPA for the courses. My next two years I had an upward trend in my grades and the rest of my prereqs were in the A range. By the time I was applying, I knew that if I did not get in, it would ultimately be because of my prereqs grades. I applied this cycle on my first attempt and got into my top choice. I wouldn't retake the chem class for the third time, but like others have said, try to take upper level courses such as pathophysiology, immunology or genetics, and do well in them. It'll broaden your transcript and they'll hopefully see a good trend in your grades. Look out for mininum grade requirements and apply to some holistic schools too! Best of luck!

If you have transcripts from both schools, and the first chem isn't expired, I don't see why you couldn't use that as your prereq requirement. When you're applying on CASPA, each program has you go through your transcript and mark which courses you assign to each of their prereqs. Just because the university didn't accept the CC chem course doesn't mean PA schools won't. 

• Like 1