Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knows how strict program are when it comes to exact unit requirements for prerequisite courses. I go to a university on the quarter system, so my classes do not always convert cleanly to semester unit requirements. I've seen plenty of schools require 4 semester hours each for Human Anatomy, Human Phys, Microbiology, etc; however, these classes are 5 quarter units each at my university (3.33 semester units equivalent).

I know some programs explicitly say their requirement for quarter hours, but some do not explicitly indicate the required quarter hours for a given course.

Thanks.

Typically, they'll do a course-to-course equivalent, so accept 5 quarter hours (3.33 semester equivalent) for e.g. a biology course that nominally requires 4 semester hours, but you'll really have to ask individual programs.  I had a mixed bag of semester and quarter hour science courses, but it all calculated fine in CASPA.

All my undergrad courses were semester (didn’t take any of the prereqs there), all my prereqs were quarter hours. Like you, mostly 5 credits. Most of my sciences with labs were 5, though chem was 6 (they weren’t any more time consuming than my others, that’s just how that school set the hours for whatever reason). I didn’t have any issues with any programs I applied to. I honestly think they care more that you took the right level course, got a good grade, and took the lab for the courses you need a lab for.

• Upvote 1