EM Residency and 9/11 GI Bill

Hi all,

Apologies if this question has already been asked ...

I am contemplating applying for an EM residency in the next year or two. I have 9/11 GI Bill eligibility remaining. Has anyone been able to use their GI Bill benefits while in a residency/fellowship?

I know that MDs/DOs are eligible to claim GI Bill benefits while completing their residency training. I contacted the VA Bill Certifying official at a couple of residency programs that interest me. I was told that none of them had filed benefit paperwork for a PA in residency, but that they would be willing to submit.

Thanks much!

I am currently using my GI bill benefits during residency. As far as I know, I'm the only one to have done this. It was made easier by being at university affiliated hospital, and maybe the only reason it happened, since that labels them automatically as a institution of high learning instead of the "apprenticeship" pathway that pays much less. I've read of physician residents falling into this trap. I used the actual university VA office to assist me and they set it up. I'm actually using the montgomery since it was more money than the 9/11 as the BAH where I am is lower. Plus, when the montgomery is all burned up I'll get one year of 9/11. 

• Upvote 1