I am! Hi! My name is Amanda. I just got my call yesterday to be accepted to the dual degree program. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By nt235
      Hi everyone! I am currently a senior in high school and was accepted into an accelerated dual-degree program where I do my undergrad in 3 years at Stockton University and the master's phase at Jefferson University at the New Jersey campus. It is a fairly new program (accelerated track at Stockton and partnership with TJU created in 2015). I was wondering if anyone attending the NJ Jefferson campus could give me insight on the program. How are the students from Stockton's accelerated program doing? Thanks!
    • By NPthePA2018
      Undergrad Ed School: University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
      Major (GPA) // Minor (GPA) : Biology (3.58) with 2 minors in Chemistry (2.9) & Psychology (4.0)
      Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.68
      Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.58
      Post Bachelor GPA: N/A
      Age at application time : 22
      1st GRE - V: 141 Q: 150 W: 3.0 // I unfortunately scheduled the GRE after taking 2 summer finals (Physics and Psychology of Individual Differences) so this score is pretty much a baseline for how I would do with minimal / no studying. 
      2nd GRE - V: 149 Q 161 W: 3.0 // The GRE prep I used was Magoosh and they did not have an analytical practice section so my AW score was the same, but my verbal and quantitative scores improved tremendously! Magoosh usually has pretty good sales for a 6 month subscription for $125 (regular price of 1 month subscription) around January and July. 
      Direct Patient Care : (Patient Care Technician / CNA)
      Cerebrovascular / Diabetic floor (2 years ~2,500 hours)
      Float pool / Anywhere in the hospital (~500 hours)
      Extracurricular / Leadership / Research Activities: 
      Greek organization // Junior and Senior scholarship committee
      Pre-PA club // Treasurer 2 full terms 
      UTC Medical Society // Member
      Volunteer for local hospital, Adult and Children's Emergency Room (200 hours) Children's Believe Campaign and St. Jude Up till Dawn participant (~25 hours), Girls on the Run (~10 hours)
      Supporter of various organizations such as Ronald McDonald House, Make A Wish foundation, TC Thomson's Children's Hospital, Girl Scouts of America 
      LOR
      PA in Neurosurgical and Spine Unit (Shadowed 150 hours)
      RN who's director/manager of Neuroscience (Known for 2 years)
      RN Clinical Staff Leader (Known for 1 year)
      Professor who I had 3 classes in Microbiology (B) , Immunology (A), and Microbial Ecology (A) 
      Saving one more recommendation request for a potential PA or MD 
      Personal Statement Topic: I talked about my personal childhood struggles with many health issues in my family & how I wanted to pursue a career that provides access to healthcare . I then weaned into my work experience at the hospital and mentoring. Ended it with a description of the PA I shadowed and all the qualities that I believe I had to be an important asset in healthcare.
      Schools Applied: Six. UTHSC, South College - Knoxville, South College - Nashville,  Lincoln Memorial University, Lipscomb University, and UAB
      Application Submitted Date:
      06/03 for UTSHC, LMU, and UAB
      Late June for South College Knoxville and Lipscomb
      Mid August for South College- Nashville
      Schools Received Application Date: Most of the schools received my application in less than a week after it was verified. Verified 2 days after I submitted my CASPA application. 
      Interview Invites: LMU
      Denied: UTHSC
      Waitlisted: UAB
      Accepted: N/A
      Attempts: 2nd (Applied pretty late 1st cycle to 1 school because of graduation/deadline issues so this theoretically would be my 1st real application cycle) 
      Plan B if all else fails:
      1. Pursue an accelerated Masters in Pharmacology to compensate all this waiting since most of these PA schools matriculate in August 2019 
      2. Take the MCAT. Some PA schools allow MCAT scores and would be a good refresher in basic prerequisite courses. 
      3. Shadow MD's, PA"s, NP's, PT's 
      I would greatly appreciate all the strengths and weaknesses in my current application. Any other ideas to improve my application would be helpful as well. Thank you guys so much! 
    • By Cblaze1
      Hello everyone, I wanted to create a group thread discussing the potential pros/cons of pursuing the PA/MPH route! I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the new dual degree program. 
    • By skram
      Hello everyone! So, I am very thankful to have gotten into both SBU & Desales, but I am struggling to decide between them... Stony Brook is in-state for me and 15 mins away from home, so the tuition is significantly cheaper than DeSales’ ($53,000 as opposed to DeSales’ $79,000), and I wouldn't need to pay rent.

I am struggling because even though SBU would be much cheaper overall, and has an excellent reputation and ranking, I just did not feel like I connected with the faculty there, and I wasn’t very excited after the interview. Even though the programs are both 24 months, SBU seemed more rigorous and fast-paced. The students at SBU also seemed a bit older, which makes me feel like I'd be the inexperienced one of the bunch. Another concern is that I don't really want to live at home. Living with my family would save me money, but it may also drive me crazy with the added stress of PA school ? I would most likely want to live on LI no matter what school I go to though, and so going to SBU may make it easier to get a job in the area once I graduate. SBU also ends in May, which I've heard is better for new PA grads in terms of job hunting.
      On the other hand, DeSales is a bit more expensive, but definitely not as expensive as some programs out there. It has clinical experiences during the didactic year, such as a student-run free clinic and shadowing that I would not have at SBU.  I also really connected with the faculty there and could picture myself going there and being happy. DeSales also had a brand-new, huge simulation lab that the PA students get to use a lot. DeSales is also one of the only programs in that area, you get more one-on-one time during clinical rotations, whereas w/ SBU, you’re with other LI PA students and med students.

Some stats:

PANCE 5-yr pass rates: SBU-97%, DeSales-100%

Class size: SBU-44, DeSales-80

Campus: SBU-within a hospital & affiliated w/ med school, DeSales- w/in an undergrad campus

Both have full cadaver dissection labs

Electives: both have 1 elective

Start date: SBU- June, DeSales- August
      PBL classes: SBU- have only about 4 of these activities throughout didactic year, DeSales- small group class discussion twice every week throughout all of didactic

Overall, the main things that would drive me to go to SBU are the low cost and the ranking. Otherwise, I like DeSales more. Some insight on this dilemma would be much appreciated!!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More