New admin/non-clinical duties (urgent care)

Hi all,

I work in a hospital-affiliated urgent care, and recently had my review for the year.  I discussed wanting to add non-clinical duties to my role and hopefully expand to a new role that includes formal admin duties in the near future. I currently create and manage the provider (docs and PAs) schedules, but am looking to create a real new role for myself here. I'm more than 10 years out of school and would really like to expand my horizons a bit. I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts or ideas or can expand on what others might be doing that has a mix of clinical and admin duties. I'm the only PA here other than an occasional per diem, so its really about carving out a new role. I've thought of clinical operations-type things, like supply and med ordering/management, but technically that should be done by our office manager (technically...). Any thoughts or personal experience in something like this would be great. My PA manager was super supportive but isn't on site here, so its really in my court. I'm hoping to present some ideas in the next month to see what we can work with.

thanks all!

Ordering medical supplies sounds delightful, but how about:

-antibiotic stewardship

-controlled substance utilization, ie: identifying and maintaining a particular MEDD

-updating other providers on daily flu activity for your county/state

those might be too clinical, depending on how administrative you want to get. 

How about medical direction?  Look up job descriptions for other urgent care or ED medical directors and think about which of these tasks you'd be good at, then just petition for those things under whatever title you'd like to create.  Things like handling patient flow, operations, process improvement, metric analysis + improvement, and handling patient + staff complaints.  Quality review... create a system that reviews bad outcomes that go through your clinic, try to identify underlying issues in the process that predisposes to these errors, create teaching and education with providers and nurses, etc.  Identify common challenging situations or patient presentations for providers in your group and try to come up with evidence based protocols to streamline care and decrease variability in practice (ie, chest pain protocol, back pain protocol, ama protocol, etc).  I've been involved in these types of things in my role as a "APP lead, medical direction" and they've been great to be involved in.  

23 hours ago, nycpa77 said:

Hi all,

I work in a hospital-affiliated urgent care, and recently had my review for the year.  I discussed wanting to add non-clinical duties to my role and hopefully expand to a new role that includes formal admin duties in the near future. I currently create and manage the provider (docs and PAs) schedules, but am looking to create a real new role for myself here. I'm more than 10 years out of school and would really like to expand my horizons a bit. I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts or ideas or can expand on what others might be doing that has a mix of clinical and admin duties. I'm the only PA here other than an occasional per diem, so its really about carving out a new role. I've thought of clinical operations-type things, like supply and med ordering/management, but technically that should be done by our office manager (technically...). Any thoughts or personal experience in something like this would be great. My PA manager was super supportive but isn't on site here, so its really in my court. I'm hoping to present some ideas in the next month to see what we can work with.

thanks all!

you should also get MBA or DMS degree, in order to transition into an administration role at hospital

Archived