LECOM APAP undecided....

Except 2-3x more pay.  Don't care much about respect. Money is the sole factor here. 
But if he does go into FM, he won't be making that much more than he is now. that would not be worth it for me.
Not necessarily. My shop just hired a freshly boarded, fresh out of Residency IM. He is on salary first year then RVU but he still gets a bonus. He makes (he told me) 285k the first year plus the bonus of about 15k. Once he is in RVU he should be pulling 300-350k (typical mid range for someone with a medium sized panel) with QIP of 30k+ annually and all the other extra bonuses Physicians get here. Vs an APP with over 5 years of experience getting 190k per year...

Additionally, APPs don't get any bonuses... We actually contribute to staff Christmas gifts but we ourselves do not receive gifts lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 9:42 PM, PAsPreMed said:

For what it’s worth, the AMA said today that they will view the USMLE and COMLEX equally too. Which was a big concern for DOs going into the new match. 

I wouldn't trust that.  I'm still taking both board exams.  They AMA may say that but the individual residency programs may say, "We accept the COMLEX but will only consider candidates who also took the USMLE."  I've seen several programs I was interested in say that. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2018 at 9:19 PM, EMEDPA said:

As a DO you can apply for the MD match. In fact, they are combining all the md/do match lists in the next few years anyway. 

As an FP doc it is easy to not own a practice and make your practice whatever you want to do from hospitalist to em, etc, locums is a good option as well. work 3 months on, 1 month off, etc. 

Yep, 2020 is the first year for the combined match.  And besides, family medicine and EM residencies are usually considered "DO friendly" unless you are looking at very specific prestigious residencies.

• 8 months later...
On 12/4/2018 at 7:34 PM, canada202 said:

Really well thought out opinions. 

-I won't ever be working rural @EMEDPA, so "standard" FM practice would be the plan. Based on my searches, the nearest DO EM residencies are miami/orlando which is 3 hours. There is one residency near me and it is internal med with 12 spots.

- @ArmyVetDude, yes 2-3x more pay in either FM or EM. The docs in my practice clear 300-400k seeing 30 pts/day which is incredible IMO. BUT factoring in the ~$1mill in lost wages, tuition, etc over 6 years, money becomes less significant.

- @HanSolo, the quick/auto answer is go for it, which PA friends/colleagues say. Once they think about it, you're right, I have a sweet gig that would be tough to improve upon. 

- @printer2100, this is probably the most significant reason why I chose PA in the first place. I love the flexibility of being able to drop everything and go start a career in another specialty or move to another state and fairly easily slide into a practice. As a FM doc, it's very different and requires building a practice. Being "stuck" in the whatever specialty I went to med school for is scary. 

- @anewconvert, the two docs I work closest with wrote me glowing recommendations for school and one of them who is a mentor to me has been telling me since the day I entered PA school that I should be a physician. Not because he thinks PAs/NPs are lesser, but rather that he knows I wouldn't have an issue getting through med school and that he believes residency is invaluable, so in his mind it's a no brainer. But you nailed it. The grass IS always greener... I could easily picture myself as a physician in 6 years working my butt off thinking why the $#@$ did I not keep the cushy PA lifestyle I had!

- @Kaepora, this is basically what my fiance told me. I could be a good doctor, or I could work towards being the best PA I could be. 

Really, really leaning towards declining. Everyone is echoing my sentiments exactly. 

What did you decide to do?