Sign in to follow this  
PAFL12

New Grad. Tail coverage needed?

I'm a new grad and this may be a silly question but I honestly don't know what to do. I just finished my first week on the job. However, due to a terrible family issue (Dad is terminally ill) I need to relocate to another state to care for him. I have no other option. 

I plan on telling my current employer about this ASAP. My malpractice coverage is a claims-made policy that covers the large group I work for. I've only been seeing patients for about 5 days, and thus far everything is under my SP's name as the practice has yet to integrate me into the eHr. I'll have been at this job roughly 3 weeks before I need to relocaye. I'm paranoid that even though I was on the job for a short amount of time, and nothing is signed in my name (yet), that I need to obtain tail coverage in the event something crazy happens and I'm named in a lawsuit somehow. 

I know this is ridiculous but I'm reeling from the news about my dad and worried about absolutely everything now. Do people obtain tail coverage for something so short term? 

I'm not a lawyer, but a malpractice lawyer doesn't care if you've been on the job for five minutes or fifty years, you are still a target.  Also, if you gave medical advice to someone, you are still responsible.  I would recommend discussing with a real lawyer and not an anonymous forum.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Agree with Thinker.

But it's also a risk benefit decision.  The duration of the risk exposure is incredibly low, with you only seeing a few patients.  Furthermore, with you being a new graduate (and therefore assuming you are broke), you have little wealth to expose to this risk.  

In the infinitesimal risk that you are sued, they can't get money from you because you don't have any, so you declare bankruptcy and start all over again.

So understand the risk, and then talk to your malpractice provider about the cost of tail coverage, then make a decision. 

• Upvote 1

Did you even attend patients on your own as a new grad one week into your first job? If you were still orienting and the doc was in on everything your exposure is pretty low.

One question that hasn't been brought up: is your name on anything?  It doesn't sound like it.  If there was a lawsuit how would you even be named unless a patient happened to remember who you were...unlikely - just read up on how little patients actually remember from their visits.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't get tail, but again the exposure is infinitesimally tiny.

• Upvote 1