New grad job offers- PLZ HELP!

I am a new grad (graduated 4 months ago) I have been searching for the right fit and have turned down 2 job offers. Luckily I live in a decent area for PA jobs (southwest) but the jobs I've been offered just haven't seemed right. 

The jobs I turned down if anyone cares: 1- ENT- 100k first year and then 110k 2nd year and 120k 3rd year- M-F 8-5, good benefits- but I got a bad vibe from the SP I would be working with, he seemed arrogant and rude (this was my very first real interview/offer and looking back I probably could have made this one work) and 2- Family practice 100k + decent benefits- poorly ran clinic with staff that seemed burnt out/unfriendly.

Now I am in the process of accepting a position currently 2 places are offering me, I am already heavily leaning towards the womens health one but would like some input!

1- Womens health (I love this field and would be actually excited to do this job) it is paid hourly I would end up making in the mid 80s- possibly low 90s if working OT, great benefits/working environment, possibly able to work 4 10s (huge plus for me) one saturday per month at first (all new employees have to do this) great health insurance, 401k, good PTO and flexible scheduling, a classmate of mine works for this company and has great things to say. My only hang up is the salary (not a huge deal) but that they also want me to sign a 2 year contract- the worry for me is that I am married to a med student and he is going to be matching in March to a very small/competitive field- we have NO idea where we will have to go, BUT its almost certain we will be here for another year and a half (he'll be doing his intern year here) but after that we would be moving most likely to another state (there is one residency spot here but we won't rank it high, he has much better options in other states) and I'm worried what the contract will say about breaking it early (I could always stay here and my husband could move, would only be for about 6 months but would definitely suck) There is no sign on bonus so what could they really do if I break it early? If theres a non compete  that wouldn't really matter considering I'll be leaving the state.... does anyone have experience with anything like this?? 

2- Pain management ~120k- This job pays by the day $500/day, sometimes would only be working 3-6 hours/day depending on how busy it is, but would never have to work >9 hours/day, no benefits with this job- but my husband will have health insurance that would cover me- also, this would most likely only be for a 1.5 years. Also they want me to get my own insurance, they sent me a quote and its about $4.5 k occurance plan with 1,000,000/6,000,000 policy (little freaked out about this just because I know nothing about this and I don't want to get myself into trouble) the PA that works there now has never had any issues-shes been there for 2 years. This job will be pretty much the most boring job imaginable and I would learn nothing working there, would only be doing evals for the pain doc- it is all personal injury stuff so very very limited procedures he does and I wouldn't even be doing procedures. 

If anyone has any advice I would be so grateful!!!! 

Personally I would avoid pain management.  Depending on the type of practice this could be rewarding (If methods include managing pain in ways other than prescribing opioids).  Or it could cause RAPID burnout (prescribing opioids all day would suck in my opinion).  

I strongly believe that unless you are sure you want to work in a specialty all PA’s should work in a primary care field to start out.  I’d include women’s health in this as I often see women’s health clinics serving as primary care for patients.  We don’t usually get a residency (I know they are becoming more common but a majority of PA’s don’t do one).  I feel like my first job in family medicine was my residency.  It’s where I learned to practice medicine and helped to solidify the foundation of my medical knowledge and practice. 

The salary is a little low and it doesn’t hurt to counter when they make the offer.  Ultimately only you can make the decision for what’s best for you.  Personally, I’d run from pain management. 

1 hour ago, MCHAD said:

Personally I would avoid pain management.  Depending on the type of practice this could be rewarding (If methods include managing pain in ways other than prescribing opioids).  Or it could cause RAPID burnout (prescribing opioids all day would suck in my opinion).  

I strongly believe that unless you are sure you want to work in a specialty all PA’s should work in a primary care field to start out.  I’d include women’s health in this as I often see women’s health clinics serving as primary care for patients.  We don’t usually get a residency (I know they are becoming more common but a majority of PA’s don’t do one).  I feel like my first job in family medicine was my residency.  It’s where I learned to practice medicine and helped to solidify the foundation of my medical knowledge and practice. 

The salary is a little low and it doesn’t hurt to counter when they make the offer.  Ultimately only you can make the decision for what’s best for you.  Personally, I’d run from pain management. 

Thanks for the advice!! Fortunately this pain management clinic doesn't do any opioids which is nice, the job is literally just evals for the one interventional pain doc. I don't know if I'd get burned out but it would definitely be boring and I don't think I would learn much. I'm definitely wanting to womens health more and I would sacrifice the pay (they said they won't negotiate the pay) but I'm just worried about the contact. 

1 hour ago, hellobecca57 said:

You could try to negotiate for a 1.5 year contract and if they say no then... oh well at least you tried

I was considering trying this but I'm afraid it may affect them offering the position if they know there's a good chance I'll be leaving so soon. I'm wondering what the contract will say about breaking it early, I actually have no idea what they can do to you as employee if they never gave a sign on bonus to take back, can they charge you $$? What is a typical amount? 

9 minutes ago, sunsfan92 said:

I was considering trying this but I'm afraid it may affect them offering the position if they know there's a good chance I'll be leaving so soon. I'm wondering what the contract will say about breaking it early, I actually have no idea what they can do to you as employee if they never gave a sign on bonus to take back, can they charge you $$? What is a typical amount? 

Typically the consequences for early termination are listed somewhere in the contract. If they aren't then you ought to clarify!

Archived