Public Health Service (USPHS)

18 hours ago, MediMike said:

I reached out via email to get some more information

Maybe you won't have to be voluntold afterall. 

5 hours ago, ventana said:

I have started applying.  Will need age waiver but hopeful.  Anyone with any inside connections???  Fine with serving however I can. (Mission before self)

I was planning on doing a fellowship in the next year or so and I just started a doctorate. I don't think I can commit just yet but please keep us posted. 

The original thread up above got me curious, so I went digging around for numbers and found this. 🙄 

image.png.fd64c04c176905f92e18d67108e0de82.png

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/30/2021 at 11:54 AM, ventana said:

Ready Reserve applicant.   Doing paperwork and needs numerous waivers.  Might still be possible.

I know this is a late post, but I'm curious to know how things went with your application process?

On 5/20/2022 at 3:22 AM, Nessa said:

I know this is a late post, but I'm curious to know how things went with your application process?

believe it or not still in process!

declined but then they offered and age waiver and things started back up again... prior military helped  

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, Nessa said:

Was told I was too broken to join last year lol. Good luck to you both

I am probably both of those things but you never know.... nobody is hitting recruiting numbers right now. If I didn't learn anything else I learned there is a waiver for everything.

• Upvote 1

I'm currently looking into it due to a change in my job situation (plan to make a post about it soon), and am in discussions with them.  Mostly I just want to learn more information and oddly the only form of interaction is through email...with responses coming every 2-3 business days.  You would think they would have someone to talk with, kind of like military recruiters but maybe that's why the PHS isn't as widely known about.  If I had known about it when I was starting PA school I would have done it - paid for school with income and would be almost halfway to my 20 years.  To get in today...I've almost paid for my own loans, didn't have income during PA school, and would be starting my 20 years now.  Oh well...

I meet the age requirement and nothing on my body is majorly broken...yet.  My biggest hurdle is the weight limit, 208lbs at my height.  I'm in good shape, but due to my powerlifting background I need to lose 30lbs.

3 hours ago, mgriffiths said:

I'm currently looking into it due to a change in my job situation (plan to make a post about it soon), and am in discussions with them.  Mostly I just want to learn more information and oddly the only form of interaction is through email...with responses coming every 2-3 business days.  You would think they would have someone to talk with, kind of like military recruiters but maybe that's why the PHS isn't as widely known about.  If I had known about it when I was starting PA school I would have done it - paid for school with income and would be almost halfway to my 20 years.  To get in today...I've almost paid for my own loans, didn't have income during PA school, and would be starting my 20 years now.  Oh well...

I meet the age requirement and nothing on my body is majorly broken...yet.  My biggest hurdle is the weight limit, 208lbs at my height.  I'm in good shape, but due to my powerlifting background I need to lose 30lbs.

You can get a waiver if you are over the weight limit but in good shape.

1 hour ago, cinntsp said:

You can get a waiver if you are over the weight limit but in good shape.

I have read that as well, but haven't been able to find any more information - and it's one of the questions that both the air force and USPHS have conveniently not answered.  Do you know if it is considered on a case-by-case basis or are there criteria.  I read in one messaging board that if you passed a certain fitness test then you would receive the waiver, but can't find what that test would be...and haven't read it elsewhere.  I can pass every military fitness test with flying colors...but can't get a clear answer.

19 hours ago, sas5814 said:

I am probably both of those things but you never know.... nobody is hitting recruiting numbers right now. If I didn't learn anything else I learned there is a waiver for everything.

If I read correctly, I would have to forfeit my VA disability compensation in exchange for my salary so even if they accepted this old body I just don't that I would want to do that to myself and family financially lol