Failing Class?

Hey guys, what's up. Got an issue here I've been trying to get advice on....

I'm taking a 1 credit lab course and I'm borderline between an F and D right now. My lowest exam grade in lab was going to be dropped and that would've put me in a MUCH better standing place than right now. However because of personal reasons, I was admitted to the hospital on a day where I had an exam and I was unable to go sit for the exam. When I was ready to come back to class, my professor states that because I missed the exam even though I gave him my hospital letter, suddenly my missed exam will be my dropped exam which pretty means my missed exam is equivalent to a 0. I am way past the withdrawal date and I'm standing at an A in the lecture portion of this course. Any ideas on what I should do? Should I try asking for an incomplete (though I'm not quite sure how incomplete goes) I heard that if you don't attend the final, then you would automatically be given an incomplete. Any suggestions please?!

An incomplete just means you'd finish the course later - which in your case, sounds like delaying the inevitable. Also, your missed exam WONT be equal to a zero - it just won't be counted at all and your remaining grades will form the average. Does that change your calculations?

You really just have one option here, which is to finish out the course, see where you stand, and decide whether or not you'll need to retake the lab portion. The good news is that you have an A in lecture, so if you retake the lab and kill it, explaining that this grade is due to your hospitalization is a highly reasonable explanation to give an adcom.

30 minutes ago, nichole96 said:

An incomplete just means you'd finish the course later - which in your case, sounds like delaying the inevitable. Also, your missed exam WONT be equal to a zero - it just won't be counted at all and your remaining grades will form the average. Does that change your calculations?

You really just have one option here, which is to finish out the course, see where you stand, and decide whether or not you'll need to retake the lab portion. The good news is that you have an A in lecture, so if you retake the lab and kill it, explaining that this grade is due to your hospitalization is a highly reasonable explanation to give an adcom.

My professor said he was going to drop the lowest exam grade which I thought was pretty good since I messed up on one exam. However come to find out, when I came to class, he will not be dropping my lowest exam grade anymore but instead dropping the exam that I missed when I was hospitalized (isn't a 0 but in perspective sounds likes one) which is pretty much harming me because now my lowest exam grade is counted in. The difference in dropping the missed exam and ACTUALLY dropping the lowest exam grade that I did sit for and take makes a HUGE difference in my standing grade.

On 11/21/2018 at 7:21 PM, PotatoHopper said:

My professor said he was going to drop the lowest exam grade which I thought was pretty good since I messed up on one exam. However come to find out, when I came to class, he will not be dropping my lowest exam grade anymore but instead dropping the exam that I missed when I was hospitalized (isn't a 0 but in perspective sounds likes one) which is pretty much harming me because now my lowest exam grade is counted in. The difference in dropping the missed exam and ACTUALLY dropping the lowest exam grade that I did sit for and take makes a HUGE difference in my standing grade.

I'm confused here if your lowest exam score is technically a 0%.  Assuming you are in a normal class with a point system out of 100, have 5-6 tests around 100 points each.  Example: How is getting 50/100 kept and 0/100 dropped worse?  Totally lost me here, you might need to share the rubric on this one.  

On 11/23/2018 at 10:46 AM, Ket131 said:

I'm confused here if your lowest exam score is technically a 0%.  Assuming you are in a normal class with a point system out of 100, have 5-6 tests around 100 points each.  Example: How is getting 50/100 kept and 0/100 dropped worse?  Totally lost me here, you might need to share the rubric on this one.  

The point I'm trying to make is that it's unfair of my professor to suddenly just drop the test that I missed instead of allowing me to retake it due to the circumstance that I had. Since the exam that I did not sit for is dropped because I missed it, that will be my dropped grade which was no where mentioned on the given syllabus that if someone misses an exam, that will suddenly become their dropped exam. So now, my lowest taken exam grade is counted in and that pulls my grade down immensely. 

The point I'm trying to make is that it's unfair of my professor to suddenly just drop the test that I missed instead of allowing me to retake it due to the circumstance that I had. Since the exam that I did not sit for is dropped because I missed it, that will be my dropped grade which was no where mentioned on the given syllabus that if someone misses an exam, that will suddenly become their dropped exam. So now, my lowest taken exam grade is counted in and that pulls my grade down immensely. 

Actually that happens in PA school too. In my patho class, we could drop an exam. Since the best I could do was a B and I had one already, I took the final exam without studying as a diagnostic and used the extra time to study another subject where I could move my final grade. Or I could have skipped the patho exam entirely.

I guess you’ll need to call it 2nd down and 12 and just call your next play...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Administrator
On 11/21/2018 at 4:23 PM, PotatoHopper said:

[...] because of personal reasons, I was admitted to the hospital on a day where I had an exam and I was unable to go sit for the exam. [...] Any suggestions please?!

You didn't write 'medical', you wrote 'personal', which I'm surmising means either one of two things:
1) You  indeed meant a medical, non-behavioral-health issue that you wanted to not specify hence calling it personal.
2) You were admitted for a behavioral health concern, rather than an injury or (non-behavioral health) illness.

If case #2 is true, then I would worry more about whatever situation or condition prompted the admission than one one-credit lab class.  It's none of my business or anyone else's, but PA school is among the most emotionally stressful things one can do, and everyone who has behavioral health challenges--and many who have never had any before!--will find themselves tested.

A 'D' or an 'F' won't matter significantly between them on your transcript.  Actually, an F might be BETTER, because you can legitimately say it was in part due to a hospital admission after the drop date.  You might have a better time petitioning the school to get a late withdraw from the lab on the basis of whatever condition prompted your admission.

Best wishes.

Archived