Class of 2021

8 hours ago, angelabea said:

Great idea! I’m Angie Gilpin and cannot wait for next August! 

Ill be looking for a house or townhouse with a yard to rent because I have two rambunctious dogs 😁 from last years group it sounds like the Highland and Homewood areas are good? Anyone have suggestions on other areas to look? 

Yes, Highlands and Homewood are good for space and distance! I live down 280 past the Summit, and there are places there with plenty of room for cheap. Hoover has good space too. I'd just suggest to not get too far down 280 or I65 because you'll get stuck in carmaggedon everyday and it's not always the easiest to study in the car lol

I guess I forgot to introduce myself lol

I'm Jared Godwin, from Huntsville AL and living in Birmingham for the past 4 months. I work in Trauma/Burns at UAB hospital right now until classes start. I can't wait to meet everyone! I'm thinking of starting a Facebook group soon for our class. If anyone comes to visit Birmingham and wants to grab coffee or see your future home, I've found a few cool places to try out!

Go Blazers!

On 11/19/2018 at 9:42 AM, jgod15 said:

Yes, Highlands and Homewood are good for space and distance! I live down 280 past the Summit, and there are places there with plenty of room for cheap. Hoover has good space too. I'd just suggest to not get too far down 280 or I65 because you'll get stuck in carmaggedon everyday and it's not always the easiest to study in the car lol

@jgod15 What kind of traffic/commute time do you deal with heading to/from UAB where you live?  

Hello! I'm Stacie from Atlanta, GA. HOW AWESOME IS THIS?! I am so happy to be part of this program and can't wait to meet you all and get this thing going. It would definitely be cool to get people together further down the road to hang out- I wouldn't mind planning a group activity in Birmingham or Atlanta for those who could make it. I'll follow up on this after the new year 🙂 

2 hours ago, atlRT said:

@jgod15 What kind of traffic/commute time do you deal with heading to/from UAB where you live?  

Working at the hospital 7-7 I miss most of the traffic. Takes me about 15 minutes to get to UAB. But when 280 traffic hits closer to 8am and 5pm... It can take 45 minutes to go the 9 miles between home and downtown. 

When I was looking at apartments originally, a local suggested that if you live on the 280 side of town to live north of 459. I probably should have taken that more seriously, but it's not awful.

36 minutes ago, alewis216 said:

Hi guys!! Can't wait to meet everyone! After you guys sent your signed acceptance letter to the designated email did you receive any type of confirmation email? I received a confirmation for the seat deposit, but nothing after sending in the acceptance letter. 

I received an email for both. Same email, but they acknowledged both were received. If you sent it over the weekend I’ll bet you get a confirmation tomorrow. 

Hey everyone, I'm Iris Carson. I'm moving from Columbus, Ga. super excited and nervous to start. I'll also be looking for a place for myself but enough space to house my family when they visit. Leaving my 3 kids behind with husband and family  to really focus on school. I know its gonna be worth it. 

Hey guys! My name is Hannah Hargett and I'm from Pensacola, FL. I've definitely never lived in a big city so this should be interesting, but I'm so excited! Can't wait to meet everyone!! Also, @alewis216, I also sent my acceptance letter and seat deposit in yesterday and never got a confirmation email back for the acceptance letter. I talked to someone about the academic common market and when mentioning UAB he said their power had been out all day and so things were hectic over there, so I'm sure that's what the slow response is about!

18 hours ago, hannahhargett1025 said:

Hey guys! My name is Hannah Hargett and I'm from Pensacola, FL. I've definitely never lived in a big city so this should be interesting, but I'm so excited! Can't wait to meet everyone!! Also, @alewis216, I also sent my acceptance letter and seat deposit in yesterday and never got a confirmation email back for the acceptance letter. I talked to someone about the academic common market and when mentioning UAB he said their power had been out all day and so things were hectic over there, so I'm sure that's what the slow response is about!

Okay that makes me feel better! I'm guessing with the holiday and power outage they're just delayed. Hopefully we'll receive some sort of confirmation by the end of the week!

On 11/23/2018 at 3:39 PM, atlRT said:

Hello! I'm Stacie from Atlanta, GA. HOW AWESOME IS THIS?! I am so happy to be part of this program and can't wait to meet you all and get this thing going. It would definitely be cool to get people together further down the road to hang out- I wouldn't mind planning a group activity in Birmingham or Atlanta for those who could make it. I'll follow up on this after the new year 🙂 

That would be cool. Let me know! I live in Suwanee, GA!

Archived