Bubbles

Duke vs UNC

Also posted in the pre-pa forum, but hoping some NC practitioners may have input. 🙂

I was lucky enough to be accepted to my top two choices - Duke and UNC. 

As a PA program, Duke needs no introduction. 

UNC is provisionally accredited but appears to be a great program. It has a small class size (20 students vs 90 at Duke) and is affiliated with a large medical center. The major benefits to the program, in my opinion, are January start (sooner start and finish) AND the tuition is approximately $40k cheaper. 

I really liked UNC’s program and the affordability (as a state school). However, Duke is also a great school, so I’m wondering if attending a program with a strong reputation like Duke would grant more job opportunities and additional opportunities down the line. 

Would love to hear thoughts and personal experiences. Thanks so much! 

Go with what you think the better fit for you will be (expense, location (yes I know they're neighbours), how you felt about the faculty and other students, how they handle clinical rotations, etc etc). Both Duke and UNC have ample and prestigious resources. UNC will no doubt be a great program, I wouldn't let the provisional accreditation bother you there.

We're still ahead of the curve before market saturation, name recognition between two well known universities unlikely to make a difference.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Anachronist said:

Go with what you think the better fit for you will be (expense, location (yes I know they're neighbours), how you felt about the faculty and other students, how they handle clinical rotations, etc etc). Both Duke and UNC have ample and prestigious resources. UNC will no doubt be a great program, I wouldn't let the provisional accreditation bother you there.

We're still ahead of the curve before market saturation, name recognition between two well known universities unlikely to make a difference.

Thanks for your response! Lots of great points - I appreciate it!

no one really cares where you go to school. They care that you graduated, know what you are doing, are humble, and are a decent human being/provider. $40,000k is a lot of money, will be more than that once you factor in interest. Debt is very real and 3 years from now when you graduate, i guarantee you won't be saying "dang, I wish i had 40k more in debt".....lol

• Like 1

I agree with post above! Both programs have great reputations nationwide. Go where you think it is the best fit. And no one cares where you graduated from as long as you have the skills they are looking for! Many of the doctors I worked with told me to go where it is cheaper and 40K is a lot of money. Best of luck!

• Like 1

I'm late, but I would recommend going with UNC. Save the money. Debt sucks, I had 50k in debt, a lot better than >100k. 

I chose ECU for this reason (only Duke, Methodist, ECU and Wake were the only NC programs when I applied).

• Like 1

First off, congrats on getting accepted to my DREAM schools! Because of cost, I am going to do my best to shine to both of my state schools, UNC and ECU. But may I ask, what were your stats going in? By stats I mean, GPA/age/healthcare experience and hours/ec's/LOR/shadowing,etc. I can only imagine that since you got into 2 really awesome programs that you had stellar stats! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheLastStone said:

First off, congrats on getting accepted to my DREAM schools! Because of cost, I am going to do my best to shine to both of my state schools, UNC and ECU. But may I ask, what were your stats going in? By stats I mean, GPA/age/healthcare experience and hours/ec's/LOR/shadowing,etc. I can only imagine that since you got into 2 really awesome programs that you had stellar stats! 

Thanks so much! Messaged my stats 🙂 

• Like 1