Pre requisites narrowing my options

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum, but as I weigh out my options I realized I needed some input from anyone willing to help me out.

I have graduated with my bachelor's degree in May, 2018 in Community Health Education. I decided to take the PA route two years into school, so I tried to get as many prerequisite courses in as I could in those two years.

I have a solid application besides my pre-requisite courses are lacking. I meet the requirements for a handful of schools, but am limited.

These are the courses that I have that work for my selected schools so far:

Anatomy and physiology

general chemistry 1

Microbiology

Psychology

biostatistics

medical terminology

cell biology

parasitology

college algebra

English

Chemistry 111

-course that I took when I was pre-nursing my freshman year,. It is described as an intro o-chem/biochem mix with lab. It's 5 credits, so it works for many of the chemistry credit pre-requisite requirements (Besides the ones that specifically say "Organic Chemistry 1" for example).

My biggest dilemma at this point is wondering if I should go back and take a few more pre-requisites to broaden my range of schools that I could apply to, or should I not waste money & time and just apply to the ones I can with what I have.

I am currently working full time so it would have to be online..

Like I said, I have a great application besides that. Over 3,000 patient care hours as a PCA, EMT, and currently an Emergency Dept. Technician. I have plenty of volunteering, shadowing, and a great GPA. I am currently writing my personal statement essay and trying to perfect it the best that I can.

Let me know of any input, opinions, or advice that you may have for my current situation.

Thanks!!

I recommend baseline 8 credits each of A&P, general bio, and gen chem. Also agree with the previous poster that biochem and genetics are the other two big science prereqs. I only took biochem and felt limited without genetics - it all depends on your target schools. 

If there's any way to take classes in person, I'd strongly recommend that (especially for science prereqs with lab).

http://paprogramsearch.com/search/  I would recommend looking at this website and see where you stand right now with the classes you have. This website isn't fail proof, but I've found it helpful in my search for classes that I need. After that I would look at the schools that are your top chooses and see what their requirements are and go from there.   I would recommend finding a local school and doing in person classes, because some schools won't allow online labs. However, that is not always doable in every situation. If you'd prefer online the two most common school I see for online is UNE and DOANE. Good luck.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, paramedic09 said:

http://paprogramsearch.com/search/  I would recommend looking at this website and see where you stand right now with the classes you have. This website isn't fail proof, but I've found it helpful in my search for classes that I need. After that I would look at the schools that are your top chooses and see what their requirements are and go from there.   I would recommend finding a local school and doing in person classes, because some schools won't allow online labs. However, that is not always doable in every situation. If you'd prefer online the two most common school I see for online is UNE and DOANE. Good luck.

Thank you! This helped me a lot to see where I stand. I appreciate it!

Archived