VENT - "our NP just got her Doctorate"

For those who are old school BS only, any of these programs being discussed allow applicants to skip the MS step?  If so, and I had spent the cash on the MS upgrade to stay competitive, I’d be perturbed.  I didn’t have the energy for the MS and definitely wouldn’t have had the energy to do it a second time, much less factoring in the cost.

7 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

For those who are old school BS only, any of these programs being discussed allow applicants to skip the MS step?  If so, and I had spent the cash on the MS upgrade to stay competitive, I’d be perturbed.  I didn’t have the energy for the MS and definitely wouldn’t have had the energy to do it a second time, much less factoring in the cost.

Nova has a BS to DHSc option. https://healthsciences.nova.edu/healthsciences/mhs_dhs/index.html

Just now, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Legit question.  Could one just resubmit the same research paper for a Doctorate as they used for the MS, especially if a different program?

nope. most graduate work is submitted through an online database to lower the incidence of plagiarism. believe it or not turning in an assignment twice is known as " self-plagiarism"

The federal govt doesn’t care about my degree. I am already at the ceiling of govt grade and class. Nowhere to go, no more pay.

These degrees won’t improve my patient care abilities.

I cannot afford this with kids in college.

The only thing that might help me is Healthcare Administration Masters if I ever choose the dark side - queue up the Darth Vader music.....

So, it worries me some, but I don’t feel pressured to do anything at this time and don’t have funding to do so.

For now, I got a Bachelors and in my 27th year..... 

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2018 at 12:17 AM, Reality Check 2 said:

The federal govt doesn’t care about my degree. I am already at the ceiling of govt grade and class. Nowhere to go, no more pay.

These degrees won’t improve my patient care abilities.

I cannot afford this with kids in college.

The only thing that might help me is Healthcare Administration Masters if I ever choose the dark side - queue up the Darth Vader music.....

So, it worries me some, but I don’t feel pressured to do anything at this time and don’t have funding to do so.

For now, I got a Bachelors and in my 27th year..... 

our hospital has started a ladder pay grade now which is similar to the nursing ladder.

the only way to advance up is to get higher degrees and publish articles. It literally has nothing related to patient care or skills. But hey, enroll in a masters or Doctorate program and you get a pay raise for literally no skills related to patient care.

needless to say I'm leaving to start a job at a competing hospital down the street for more money, a sign on bonus and my current employer owes me 270 PTO hours they have to pay me

I'm in with GMOOTM's letter he got from his Medical Licensing Board.  Can you send me a template?   I'll send it to the WI Medical Examining Board, and then we can just jettison our legislation for OTP cuz I'm pretty sure I can convince the MEB to let us take a test or do one hour of study/listen to a youTube video on how to become a doctor.  

Can't wait. 

I'm in with GMOOTM's letter he got from his Medical Licensing Board.  Can you send me a template?   I'll send it to the WI Medical Examining Board, and then we can just jettison our legislation for OTP cuz I'm pretty sure I can convince the MEB to let us take a test or do one hour of study/listen to a youTube video on how to become a doctor.  

Can't wait. 

This was all said tongue in cheek. Wouldn’t shock me if something along this line happens down the road after I’m out of the game.

Archived