Life after a lawsuit

2 hours ago, Acheung1988 said:

Hi Pennylv,

I just came across your post on the PA forum. I just want to know what the outcome is of the case in 2018?

i am currently going through something similar. I definitely feel like Medical Malpractice stress syndrome is a thing! I’m trying so hard to stay on top of my mental health during this process. 

Hi ACheung1988,

I’m sorry to hear you are having to go through that nightmare that is a malpractice suit. In my case, I decided to settle for various reasons. My advice to you is to get some psychotherapy to help keep you sane. Also stay in top of things with regards to your case, ask questions, and look out for yourself because no one else is going to do it. PM me if you need any advice. I’m happy to help. 

Edited by pennylv

Horrible. I think the therapy advice is on target.

About 3 years ago I had a patient report me to the medical board. it was a nutso nonsense complaint and everyone I knew said it would be dismissed without investigation..which it was a few months later. It was determined to be unfounded and there was no investigation so I never had to answer "yes" to that particular question.

Despite a lot of reassurances and KNOWING it was a nonsense complaint I was a wreck the whole time. I couldn't sleep. I was anxious and depressed. I was making everyone crazy and it made me doubt myself at work.

Eventually it all settled and a bit of talk therapy, mixed with a generous application of Crown Royal, plus the continued assurance and support of my medical director. I eventually got back to baseline.

I'm sorry you are going through it. No matter what it will eventually get better.

This is why it pays to have your own insurance as opposed to hiding under an employer umbrella.  At least with your own carrier, even at minimal coverage amounts, you have someone who in theory is at least looking out for your best interest.

I’ve had the pleasure of being depo’d in two cases, one I was named in because a surgeon after the patient had left the ED and was on the floor later developed a compartment syndrome, along with a missed vascular injury during the initial surgery, that resulted in a BKA.  The second case was an altered mental status with a report of a foot injury from jumping off a wall that also later became a compartment syndrome.  After a year or more I was dropped from both but it’s a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing that it’s always hanging over your head until you are told/get the letter telling you that they don’t want you to play any longer.

I had made a mental note to remember the recent passage of my 2 year SOL from the time of my retirement.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

• Administrator

My emotional reaction to the one (unfounded, closed without investigation) complaint was irritation and anger. I knew this patient was lying to me, gave her every chance to come clean, and instead she goes home, stews for a while, and decides to complain to the medical board that months ago I had offered to shake he hand. Oh, and I also had not given her the narcotics she wanted because she was clearly hoarding them.

Still, she's the one at the end of the day who is burning bridges with her paranoid rantings, and the appropriate emotion is, in fact, pity.