Sign in to follow this  
Alliepop

Does this count as PCE?

Hi all!!

A little background on me: graduated with a BS in bio in May 2018, have decided to take a break from school to work and gain more PCE before applying to PA school since I've only done scribing thus far.

A couple weeks ago I was offered a job as a surgical tech for a Lasik office. I'm worried that because it's just Lasik procedures it won't count as PCE? We work the patients up before consultations and of course aid during surgery if needed. Part of me thinks it does count, but I'm also starting to second guess myself. I couldn't find any information online so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but any input is appreciated! Thank you.

This will likely count, but programs do seem to put highly specialized PCE in a lower tier.

Have you seen a lasik procedure?  I'm not sure you can call this surgical tech work (when you consider what a surgical tech does in an OR) despite what they may call it.

You'd really have to evaluate the duties (what does 'working up' a patient entail) to determine if it's PCE.  As above, it's definitely not strong PCE if it is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks guys ! From my understanding 'working a patient up' entails taking them through a series of vision tests, inputting the results into their chart, and then the doctor comes in after and tells them if they're a candidate for the surgery. As for the surgical tech part of Lasik, I have seen the procedure and I do agree that my participation would probably be extremely limited. Thanks for the input guys!

As a former surgical tech myself, I'm really confused as to why this is called a "surgical tech" job. Sounds like you didn't go to a surgical tech program or have experience as a surgical tech. This job sounds a lot more like a MA position. As to whether or not it can be qualified as PCE, completely depends on how much you interact with patients. But I agree with the other comment, it doesn't sound like it would be very "quality" PCE even if some schools accept it. 

1 hour ago, BaxLN said:

As a former surgical tech myself, I'm really confused as to why this is called a "surgical tech" job. Sounds like you didn't go to a surgical tech program or have experience as a surgical tech. This job sounds a lot more like a MA position. As to whether or not it can be qualified as PCE, completely depends on how much you interact with patients. But I agree with the other comment, it doesn't sound like it would be very "quality" PCE even if some schools accept it. 

agree. read the eye chart and here are some opthane drops does not equal surgical tech. As mentioned above, SurgTech programs are typically a year or so in length and require a fairly impressive array of skills to complete. I have a good friend who is a surg tech and her  technical training was far more in depth than what I got on my surgery rotation.

Well it is a start, you can earn some money for PA school and train for a phlebotomy job and get some good volunteer hours in!