Interviewing Where Previously Denied

This is my third cycle applying to my dream school - the first time I was rejected right off the bat (I deserved it, I applied thinking I might graduate undergrad early and was wildly underprepared), the second time I interviewed but then was rejected, and this cycle I have been invited to interview again. At this point this year, I've had three other interviews and been accepted to two, but I am still SO nervous for this interview because it is by far my first choice. I also think I'm a little scarred from interviewing last year, not feeling I did well, then being rejected. 

Any advice on how to prepare for this situation in particular? Or calm down? 

Maybe I just need a pep talk, I've made it this far. I think I'm psyching myself out - scared that history will repeat itself. 

This is the best advice I have to offer, especially to someone who is probably trying too hard. I had posted it in another thread and here is is again:

------

This is a topic that has been addressed several times from lots of different perspectives. Let me give you mine. 

I'm old now, so I've been the interviewer way more times that I've been the interviewee. Some day, you will have too. I used to feel nervous then the the same way you do now.

My life interview lesson: being the interviewee is not hard if you stop worrying about how you're doing and just "be." If you've too nervous, or over-rehearsed (usually easy to spot), you'll have a problem. Oh: knowing something about the program you've applied to is not "over-rehearsing"!

The interviewer has read all the stuff that CASPA collects about you. Someone else at the school has read all that and recommended that you be invited. Why? To see what you're really like.

Are your personable? Do you work well in groups? Can you think on your feet? Would they like to have you in class? Are you going to be a problem child? Can you take answer a question in 30 seconds? Can you briefly explain why you're here? What you think about your "C" in organic, or whatever, without making excuses and instead explaining why the experience made you better or stronger or wiser?

Take the opportunity to interact with the other applicants. If you are in a group interview and someone else gets to answer a question first, look for ways to acknowledge what others have said and nicely build on it. Don't be competitive. I know that sounds counter-intuitive because you had to compete for the interview. But now you're among peers and hopefully future PA colleagues. It's time to play nice.

You don't have to be gregarious, but you have to be willing to smile, be responsive, and share something of yourself when asked. I've described this before as acting like you're meeting your boyfriend's or girlfriend's parents for the first time, for those of you that are closer to that event than you are to your 50th wedding anniversary. You know: be yourself, but on a good day!

What sometimes gets in the way is that you think your whole future depends on doing well in this one interview.  Like you're the field goal kicker trying to win the Super Bowl with seconds to go. "If I miss, my team will lose, the coach will be mad, I'll get cut, another team won't hire a loser like me, my family will leave me, and I'll have to beg at an intersection to make a living..."  Sounds funny, but we all can go go to a place like that when we panic. And these outlandish thoughts just make us tighten up and not be ourselves!

In reality, this interview is only one event on one of many paths to this goal, which is only one of the many goals you'll have in your life. The more you fixate on it and tighten up, the worse you'll probably do. So get some rest, tell yourself that it is not the equivalent of match point in your life, and just do your best.

You may be asked a bizarre question, like if you could be a body part, which one would it be and why? Is there a right answer to that? Of course there's not! Just roll with it and think on the fly. 

And, when you're done, having left an impression that you are a balanced, personable human being who has learned something from being alive this long while pursuing difficult goals, be satisfied with that. You don't have to be mistake-free in your life -- no one is. But only that your experiences -- good and bad -- have made you who you are. And that is good enough.

Good luck!

Remember that it's a good sign that they have brought you back for an interview - for a 3rd application!

Also remember that YOU are interviewing THEM as well.  Take back some of the power.  Don't go in with rose colored glasses, really consider this a chance to evaluate the program.  

And remember that you've already been accepted elsewhere - you're going to PA school next year no matter what.

Archived