Diabetic Shoe Orders for M'care patients

I am internal med PA. I have Medicare patients with DMII that need diabetic shoes. CMMS requires that an MD or DO manages the patient's DM care altogether and does the foot exam. We do not have that luxury here and I have patient's that I am managing on Medicare that need shoes and I am sitting on the forms because I do not know what exactly to do. Does anyone else have this problem?

shoes2.jpg

It's a CMS Requirement. So All of us in PC has this problem for ALL DME not just DM shoes.

Can't your CP/SP sign it? That's what I do. The PA or NP can perform the face to face but the RX has to be done by a MD/DO.

For private insurance we can do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

All I do is fill everything out and give to collaborating MD to sign - his choice to review the chart/notes to ensure needed.  If he wants to see patient that is his choice also.  So far he just rolls his eye and signs...

(Please note he is rolling his eyes at the fact I can't sign, not at me specifically)

DME requirements are only one of the things that don’t make sense that I’ve found.  

Take the state of Nevada for example.  A PA can’t sign the paperwork to authorize a handicapped placard or plates, but nationwide I am certified to perform the exam and clear a patient to get a CDL and drive a semi!  Heaven forbid I may clear someone to park closer to the entrance to Safeway!

Archived