New grad PA and the amount of “grunt work” involved

On 11/1/2018 at 4:35 PM, DermatologyPA said:

Hi everyone, 

Thank you all for your great replies. 

It is clear that I am in a position where I am disrespected and treated poorly. Everyday feels like I am drowning more and more and it’s difficult for me to catch up on all of my tasks. 

I have started to reach out to contacts in the region (drug reps, for the most part) to keep their ears peeled for offices that are hiring. 

Has anyone worked with recruiters before? I am on LinkedIn and I am starting to get a lot of connection requests for dermatology recruiters. 

I’m having a lot of anxiety about potential leaving the practice on a “sour note.” Especially when the main issue is that my SP’s office manager is his wife and it’s the main person causing all of these issues. I do have 1 year of experience down. But I’m just worried that this will not allow me to find another position due to putting down my place of employment. I’m worried that should my potential future employer will call her. My anxiety is just really high about this. 

So were you able to find something else?

As everybody has stated, that place does not appreciate you.

Best of luck to you!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, 

Thanks again to all the great replies. 

When I asked for help, I get laughed at. I thought because I am a provider, I was able to assign one of my medical assistants with helping me scribe on of my charts, but apparently, I do not have that authority to assign such tasks and was told that I was betraying management (AKA - his wife). 

I am currently on a 90 day probation period due to me being so behind on my charting, being "slow" (even though I see 30+ patients a day) and he believes I'm immature and overstepping management boundaries. 

Believe it or not, I don't have a contract with this place of employment. I'm still applying for jobs, working with a recruiter with no word yet, but I'm working on finding another job. 

Things are obviously getting worse in this practice. I'm thinking I may just bounce out of there before the 90 days are up. My mental health and physical health are suffering at this point. I don't know if that will be a good decision or not, but it seems like that it is my only choice whether or not I have a job lined up because my future at this practice is not looking so bright. My fears of leaving on a sour note are unfortunately becoming real and I just hope it won't hurt my future chances of employment. 

This is a trainwreck.  All you can do is mitigate the damages as you extricate yourself.

Might it hurt future jobs?  Yeah, but there are plenty out there.  Yes, you might have to move.

Some things to consider.

-you are not going to be there long.  Whether its tomorrow, next week, or first if year, you're gone...So no big deal if its tomorrow.

-if you are way behind on charting then you are not practicing good medicine.  Consider stopping seeing patients until you are caught up.  If they fire you...so what, you weren't going to be there long anyway. 

-consider telling the scheduler you are only seeing 15 patients a day until you get caught up.  If they fire you....so what.

-take your sick days/personal days/vacation days.  Take one on Monday!

Sometimes it is truly liberating not giving a damn what your boss thinks!

Lastly, get your head in a different game.  Find a good, supportive place.  You can do it!

Toxic environment.  I worked in one office where the wife was the office manager against my better judgement and it was as awful as everyone had warned me about.  There is no fixing that situation.  Btw, this goes for the "husband" running the office of a female doc.  Just as bad.

Look at the bright side, Derm is where the money is and you now have a year under your belt.  Time to move on and order the Lamborghini ! 

7 minutes ago, Cideous said:

Toxic environment.  I worked in one office where the wife was the office manager against my better judgement and it was as awful as everyone had warned me about.  There is no fixing that situation.  Btw, this goes for the "husband" running the office of a female doc.  Just as bad.

Look at the bright side, Derm is where the money is and you now have a year under your belt.  Time to move on and order the Lamborghini ! 

Ha, my PCP was embezzled by her ex-husband.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a similar situation before, and after getting 1 yr experience in that specialty, I found another job and gave them the resignation letter.   Have no regret and it's been almost one year since resigning!   Life is too short.  Try networking, and look online, don't lose hope - There are a lot of jobs out there.  Now you know what kind of practices/environment to avoid!   

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, 

I wanted to updated you all about my situation. 

I put in my 2 weeks notice last week. There was an incident of verbal abuse towards me and my medical assistant that was the final straw. No one should EVER be spoken to in a screaming, cursing and hysterical manner. 

I know that 30-90 days is professional standard in our industry. But with no contract and constant fear of being verbally abused, I’m surprised I will be able to last 2 weeks. 

They already posted my position on indeed.com. They are willing to train new grads, but it’s NOT worth going to that practice if you want your sanity and respect as a physician assistant. PM me if you come across and indeed advertisement for a Dermatology PA position and I will confirm or deny the listing because it should be avoided at all costs. 

I am so happy to be out of there in 2 weeks. Even if I will be unemployed for a time being. I’m continuously searching for jobs and sending out my resumes so fingers crossed. 

Thank you all for the advice throughout the thread and I hope that this thread provides lots of insights to those who are going through the same situation. Feel free to PM me for any advice or to vent if needed. 

Archived