Residency for CCM??

Hello all,

I'm a 2nd year PA student and just finished my general surgery rotation with trauma surgeons and was exposed to the critical care world and fell in love. I am planning on doing my elective in nephrology (we only get one). My question is whether or not a residency in critical care would be worth it. The pay isn't really my concern, I know it'll pay less and be insane hours. I'm more so wondering if it would better prepare me for the critical care world than say an internal med job. If anyone has an opinion on the subject let me know!

Thanks!

Yes, the best preparation for a critical care job is a critical care residency. There are a few of them out there. Good ones will have protected time for didactics and broad exposure to disciplines. Some pay what MD residents would make, I know of at least one that pays new hire starting salary (but longer hours than starting).

• 1 month later...

I'm in a CCM residency right now, and it's the best decision I've ever made. If you're thinking about it, at the very least apply and allow yourself the opportunity. But if you're asking me, you should do it. It has shaped me into a totally different provider than I would have been otherwise. The experience of rotating through every critical care specialty as well as spending designated time with consultants has been invaluable. There's no way to replace the experience.

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2018 at 2:34 PM, CSCH said:

I'm in a CCM residency right now, and it's the best decision I've ever made. If you're thinking about it, at the very least apply and allow yourself the opportunity. But if you're asking me, you should do it. It has shaped me into a totally different provider than I would have been otherwise. The experience of rotating through every critical care specialty as well as spending designated time with consultants has been invaluable. There's no way to replace the experience.

Hello,

I am interested in a CCM residency. Will you mind sharing which program you are currently attending? And what do you recommend to look for when applying to one?

thank you.

For the sake of anonymity, I'm going to keep which program I'm attending private.

As far as what to look for in a program, I love that mine has a well-developed SIM lab, bi-monthly dedicated lecture days with really good speakers, and we rotate through basically every major type of ICU (burn and trauma aren't built in, but are available as electives--I chose to do trauma but not burn). I think overall making sure they have a real curriculum is the big thing. A residency without that is just an excessive amount of work. Yes, you'll learn a ton and be exposed to a variety of experiences and patient populations, but I think the didactic portion is what ties it all together.

Archived