Salesian

Per diem Urgent Care

Hi all,

I'm a new grad who thought I would be starting at an ER position which did not end up panning out for a few reasons beyond my control. However, I was offered a part time ("20-30 hours a week") job at a local urgent care, which I could at least start soon for some income. I'm still actively applying for ER positions...My question for those who have worked ER/UC is, how manageable was it for you to work full time 10's/12's in an ER and still work a few days a month in urgent care? Or should I also consider working part time/per diem in an ER in addition to part time UC job...this wouldn't have many benefits but could financially pay well.

Also, what are the standard malpractice expectations expected at part time jobs? Do part time employers typically cover claims-made malpractice insurance? I'm fairly new to this negotiation process.

Thanks...

multiple per diem jobs is almost the standard in em. a few years ago I had 1 full time job and 5 per diem positions. most of my colleagues are the same.  Just be really good with your scheduling as it is hard to be in 2 places at once.... every job should provide malpractice. that is a line in the sand. if they want you to get your own, walk away. 

• Like 1

multiple per diem jobs is almost the standard in em. a few years ago I had 1 full time job and 5 per diem positions. most of my colleagues are the same.  Just be really good with your scheduling as it is hard to be in 2 places at once.... every job should provide malpractice. that is a line in the sand. if they want you to get your own, walk away. 

Unless they’re all employer based policies, i.e.-claims made, which will then be hard for the employee to keep track of. If you do, get a copy of the declaration page and have them purchase a tail for you. Can’t beat occurrence based policies.
  • Upvote 1

And I strongly recommend getting a supplemental ins policy as well.  I have mine through CM&F.  It adds to my employer based policy, but goes above and beyond covering things like all lawyer expenses etc.

There is no question in my military mind. A claims made policy is useless to you when you leave this UCC in a year or two and have seen 2,000 patients. You will have to purchase a tail! Occuence is the only policy worth having and the suggestion to get a personal liability insurance policy through CM&F is by far your best bet. Never settle for less than full coverage and no concerns.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies...they will be providing claims made and tail insurance. I won't be accepting a position which does not provide that at least!